Thanks to eight-scoreless innings from Mitch Keller, the Pittsburgh Pirates (58-71) defeated the Chicago Cubs (67-61) in a 2-1 pitcher’s duel on Friday night at PNC Park.
Keller yielded only four hits, walked a batter, plunked one and struck out six across his terrific outing.
The Pirates will look to make it back-to-back wins as Colin Selby makes his first-career start in the majors.
First pitch is set for 7:15 ET and with it being a national game, it will be aired on FOX.
Beautiful day for what should be a good ballgame with temperatures in the upper-70s and partly cloudy skies for first pitch. Winds N at 5-10 mph.
The Pirates Will Send Out RHP Colin Selby (1-0, 7.27 ERA)
Selby made his major league debut earlier this month and has made seven appearances out of the Pirates’ bullpen on the year.
In his 8.2 innings, he’s allowed 11 hits, has walked six and has struck out 13 batters.
In his first two years after being drafted by the Pirates, Selby made 26 appearances and they were all as a starter. Since 2021, he has only made one start in the minor leagues — it came last season.
He’s never faced the Cubs.
The Cubs Will Send Out RHP Javier Assad (2-2, 3.31 ERA)
Assad has made 23 appearances for the Cubs this season with five coming as a starter. Each of his last appearances have been as a starting pitcher.
In those four starts, the right-hander is 1-0 with a miniscule 2.86 ERA (7er/22.0ip) and has help opposing batters to a .220 average against.
On the flip side, Assad has only struck out 13 against seven walks during that span and has surrendered the four home runs.
Assad has made one prior start against the Pirates in his career. He allowed four runs (three earned) in 4.0 innings while allowing four hits, walking three and striking out a pair.
Cubs Hitters vs. Selby
Pirates Hitters vs. Assad
- Bryan Reynolds: 1 for 3, one RBI, one strikeout
- Connor Joe: 1 for 1, one home run, one RBI
- Jack Suwinski: 1 for 1, one home run, one RBI, one walk
- The Pirates’ win against the Cubs on Friday night was their first victory over Chicago this year. The Bucs had dropped 12 of their last 13 games against the Cubs.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes collected two hits in the win and now has nine multi-hit performances in 20 games this month.
- If Andrew McCutchen appears in Saturday’s game, it will be the 2,00th game played of his career. His next home run will be his 300th.
Around the Network:
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: There’s One Certainty About Sidney Crosby’s Next Contract
Steelers Now: Final Steelers 2023 53-Man Roster Projection
Pittsburgh Sports Now: WATCH: Pitt Man Louis Riddick Talks Backyard Brawl Emotions, Love of Pitt