After getting crushed on Tuesday, the Pittsburgh Pirates (71-81) bounced back in a big way and defeated the Chicago Cubs (79-73) 13-7 on Wednesday night.
Joshua Palacios, Jared Triolo and Connor Joe all homered while Ke’Bryan Hayes collected three more hits in the win.
The Pirates now have a chance to take the series on Thursday night at Wrigley.
First pitch is set for 7:40 ET and the game will be aired on AT&T SportsNet.
Expect an overcast and some possible rain showers. Chance of precipitation around 50% for gametime. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
The Pittsburgh Pirates Will Send Out RHP Johan Oviedo (8-14, 4.27 ERA)
Despite battling control issues in his last start against the New York Yankees, Oviedo wiggled out of frequent traffic and held the Yankees to one run in 5.0 innings. He walked five and struck out seven.
Since he threw a complete game shutout against the Kansas City Royals on Aug. 28, he hasn’t been able to get past the fifth inning.
Oviedo has made nine appearances (eight starts) against the Cubs in his career and is 1-4 with a 4.19 ERA and is 0-3 with a 6.17 ERA at Wrigley Field.
The Chicago Cubs Will Send Out RHP Kyle Hendricks (6-7, 3.77 ERA)
While Hendricks has solid numbers on the season, he hasn’t had quite the same level of success this month.
In three months in September, Hendricks has a 4.96 ERA (9er/16.1ip) and opponents are hitting .309 against him.
Hendricks has a lengthy history against the Pirates. In 28 career starts against Pittsburgh, the right-hander is 9-12 with a 3.67 ERA.
Cubs Hitters vs. Oviedo
- Ian Happ: 8 for 16, two doubles, two triples, two RBIs, three walks
- Patrick Wisdom: 1 for 11, five strikeouts
- Nico Hoerner: 5 for 10, one RBI, one walk
- Christopher Morel: 3 for 10, one triple, one RBI, four strikeouts
- Seiya Suzuki: 1 for 6, three strikeouts
- Mike Tauchman: 0 for 6, four strikeouts
- Nick Madrigal: 3 for 5, one double,
- Dansby Swanson: 1 for 5, one strikeout
- Yan Gomes: 0 for 4, one strikeout
- Cody Bellinger: 0 for 3, one RBI, one strikeout
Pirates Hitters vs. Hendricks
- Bryan Reynolds: 6 for 27, one double, two triples, one home run, four RBIs, two walks, nine strikeouts
- Ke’Bryan Hayes: 8 for 18, one double, two home runs, four RBIs, five strikeouts
- Connor Joe: 4 for 7, one double, one RBI, two walks, one strikeout
- Joshua Palacios: 1 for 6, one double, two RBIs, one strikeout
- Ji Hwan Bae: 0 for 6
- Jack Suwinski: 1 for 5, one walk
- In Wednesday’s win, Mitch Keller recorded his 200th strikeout of the season, becoming the sixth different Pirates’ pitcher since 1900 to do so.
- Hayes had his fourth multi-hit performance in his last five games and his batting .455 (10 for 22) with two doubles and a homer.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates’ win over the Cubs was their first at Wrigley Field since May 18, 2022. They are just 2-10 against the Chicago this season.
Around the Network:
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: Penguins Camp Battles: The Brawl for the Bottom-Six
Steelers Now: Film Room: One Way to Get Kenny Pickett Going (+)
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Campbell: The Pitt Defense Deserves So Much More From its Offense