After a late push from the Washington Nationals (65-81), David Bednar and the Pittsburgh Pirates (68-78) were able to hold on for a 7-6 win on Wednesday night.
In the win, Bryan Reynolds collected three hits, including his 21st home run of the season to help carry the load on offense.
The Pirates now have a chance to earn a series win in the series finale on Thursday afternoon.
First pitch is set for 12:35 ET and the game will be aired on AT&T SportsNet.
It’ll be a beautiful afternoon for a ballgame with sunny skies and temperatures ranging from 65-70 degrees throughout the game. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
The Pittsburgh Pirates Will Send Out RHP Mitch Keller (11-9, 4.23 ERA)
Like many others this year, Keller had a rough outing in his last start against the Atlanta Braves on Friday.
In that game, the right-hander allowed a career-high 12 hits to go along with eight earned runs in 5.0 innings pitched.
The poor showing snapped a string of strong starts for Keller. In his last five appearances dating back to Aug. 8 prior to the Braves’ game, Keller was 2-0 with a 2.03 ERA.
Keller has made two previous starts against the Nats in his career and has struggled. He’s 0-1 with a 10.57 ERA against Washington.
The Washington Nationals Will Send Out RHP Josiah Gray (7-11, 4.13 ERA)
Like Keller, Gray was a first-time All-Star this year, representing the National League. Gray is in his third season with the Nats after coming over from the Los Angeles Dodgers in the Max Scherzer/Trea Turner trade.
Gray has struggled with command of late which has hindered his ability to work deep into games in three of his last four outings. In his last 15.0 innings pitched (four starts) Gray has walked 16 batters.
The right-hander hasn’t been credited with a win since July 22 against the San Francisco Giants.
Gray has faced the Pirates twice in his career. He is 0-0 with a 4.91 ERA in those two starts/
Nationals Hitters vs. Keller
- Keibert Ruiz: 1 for 3, one RBI, one walk
- Lane Thomas: 0 for 3, three strikeouts
Pirates Hitters vs. Gray
- Ke’Bryan Hayes: 0 for 6, one strikeout
- Bryan Reynolds: 3 for 5, one double, one home run, three RBIs, one walk, one strikeout
- Connor Joe: 0 for 3, one strikeout
- Jack Suwinski: 0 f0r 3, two strikeouts
- Reynolds’ three-hit game was his second in his last five games. In September, he’s hitting .340 in 12 games.
- After leaving 15 runners on base on Tuesday night, the Pirates went 6-10 with runners in scoring position on Wednesday and left only four on.
- In their last 51 games played, the Pittsburgh Pirates are 27-24.
Around the Network:
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: Kris Letang Joins Canadiens’ Informal Practice … with Penguins Gear
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Pitt Offensive Coordinator Frank Cignetti Stays Firm in Phil Jurkovec as the Starting QB