The Pittsburgh Pirates (66-77) dropped their series to the Atlanta Braves after falling 5-2 on Sunday afternoon at Truist Park.
Luis Ortiz allowed only one run across 5.1 innings pitched, but reliever Colin Selby was tagged for four runs out of the bullpen and took the loss.
The Pirates return home for a full slate of action for a seven-game homestand starting with the Washington Nationals (64-79) on Monday night.
Clear skies and temperatures decreasing throughout the night with a first pitch expected temperature of around 75 degrees. Winds light and variable.
The Pittsburgh Pirates Have Yet to Announce a Starting Pitcher
The Washington Nationals Will Send Out LHP Patrick Corbin (9-13, 5.23 ERA)
After leading the league in losses in 2021-22, it’s been another rough season for the veteran left-hander with the Nats.
Corbin has been roughed up in each of his last two starts. In 9.0 combined innings, he’s allowed 14 runs (14.00 ERA) on 17 hits. Three of those hits went for home runs.
Corbin faced the Pirates in April in the National’s Capital and took the loss after allowing three earned runs in 5.1 innings. The Pirates won that game 6-3.
Pirates Hitters vs. Corbin
- Ke’Bryan Hayes: 4 for 13, one walk, two strikeouts
- Bryan Reynolds: 4 for 13, one RBI, three walks, three strikeouts
- Connor Joe: 2 for 9, one triple, one home run, three RBIs, one walk, two strikeouts
- Miguel Andujar: 1 for 6, one RBI, one strikeout
- Jack Suwinski: 0 for 3, two strikeouts
- With two more hits in Sunday’s game against the Braves, Reynolds extended his hitting streak to 11 games. He’s hitting .341 with a .966 OPS over his current streak.
- Since being selected by the Pirates as a September call-up, Miguel Andujar is hitting .368 (7 for 19) and has hits in all four of his games started.
- This is the first time the Pirates have played the Nats this season since taking two out of three from them at the end of April.
Around the Network:
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: PHN Blog: Biggest Penguins Off-Season Surprises and Disappointments
Steelers Now: Saunders: Can’t Blame Matt Canada for This One
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Duquesne Keeping Tabs on Trio of North Carolina Recruits