The Pittsburgh Pirates (66-78) couldn’t muster much of anything against Patrick Corbin and the Washington Nationals (65-79) and were defeated 6-2.
Corbin pitched 6.2 strong innings and CJ Abrams hit two of the three home runs for the Nationals in their win over the Pirates.
The Pirates will now look to even up their four-game series on Tuesday night.
Tuesday’s game will begin at 6:35 ET and will be aired on AT&T SportsNet.
Rain in the forecast with cooler temperatures for first pitch. Chance of precipitation 50%. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
The Pittsburgh Pirates Will Send Out LHP Bailey Falter (1-8, 4.65 ERA)
Since joining the Pirates, Falter has bounced between starting games and being used as a bulk reliever.
His last start was three appearances ago against the Chicago Cubs on Aug. 27. In that game, Falter was knocked around for seven hits and allowed six runs in 4.2 innings.
In his latest two outings, Falter has allowed only one total run and two hits across 7.1 innings pitched.
Falter has extensive experience against the Nationals from his time with the Philadelphia Phillies. His six appearances and three starts against them are tied for the most he’s had against any one team. In those six appearances, Falter is 2-0 with a 2.45 ERA.
The Washington Nationals Will Send Out RHP Joan Adon (2-1, 5.56 ERA)
Adon is coming off a solid outing against the New York Mets last week. In that game, he went 5.o innings and allowed only two runs while striking out six batters.
The right-hander has been up-and-down with his performance lately. In his final start in the month of August, he yielded five runs on nine hits in 5.0 innings against the Marlins. His time before that, he tossed 6.0 scoreless innings in Miami.
Adon was roughed up in his one prior outing against the Pirates. In that game, the Pirates rallied for six runs against him in 4.2 innings. Two of the Pirates’ nine hits in that game left the yard.
Nationals Hitters vs. Falter
- Luis Garcia: 2 for 7, one double, four strikeouts
- Michael Chavis: 1 for 6, four strikeouts
- Lane Thomas: 0 for 5, one walk, two strikeouts
- Keibert Ruiz: 1 for 4
- Joey Meneses: 2 for 3, one double
- CJ Abrams: 0 for 3, two strikeouts
Pirates Hitters vs. Adon
- Bryan Reynolds: 2 for 3, one home run, two RBIs
- Connor Joe: 0 for 3, one walk, one strikeout
- Reynolds extended his hitting streak to 12 games with an RBI single against the Nationals on Monday night. During his streak, he’s hitting .333 (16 for 48).
- Since the Pirates acquired Falter, he has a 4.02 ERA in a black and gold jersey. He had a 5.13 ERA with the Phillies prior to the trade.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates are 11-13 against the National League East this season. Nine of their final 18 games are against the N.L. East.
Around the Network:
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: PHN Blog: Biggest Penguins Off-Season Surprises and Disappointments
Steelers Now: Saunders: Can’t Blame Matt Canada for This One
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Duquesne Keeping Tabs on Trio of North Carolina Recruits