The Pittsburgh Pirates (75-85) blew a three-run lead in the eighth inning against the Miami Marlins (83-76) and fell 4-3.
The Pirates deployed a bullpen game against the Marlins and things were going swimmingly, but Colin Selby was tagged for four runs in the eighth and took the loss.
Now, the Pirates will have a chance to even the series on Saturday night at PNC Park.
First pitch is set for 6:35 ET and the game will be aired on AT&T SportsNet.
Another gorgeous night for baseball with gametime temperatures starting in the low 70s and sunny skies. Winds light and variable.
The Pittsburgh Pirates Will Send Out RHP Quinn Priester (3-2, 7.86 ERA)
Priester is coming off his best start as a big leaguer. On Sunday against the Cincinnati Reds, Priester threw 6.0 innings and allowed only a pair of runs to score.
The right-hander carried a no-hitter into the sixth inning, bit did issue five free passes while punching out four.
Priester hadn’t pitched six-full innings in any of his first seven starts, but he’s done so each of his last two times out.
He’s never faced the Marlins in his brief career.
The Miami Marlins Will Send Out RHP JT Chargois (1-0, 3.67 ERA)
Chargois will be used as an opener for Miami after he pitched a scoreless inning against the Pirates on Friday night.
This will mark the fifth time Chargois has been used as an opener this season in what will be his 45th appearance of the year.
The right-hander has made two previous appearances agaisnt the Pirates and has combined for 2.1 scoreless innings.
Marlins Hitters vs. Priester
- Josh Bell: 0 for 3, one strikeout
Pirates Hitters vs. Chargois
- Henry Davis: 1 for 1, one double
- Bryan Reynolds has reached base safely in 27 consecutive games, the longest streak by a Pirates’ player since Jason Bay (29) in 2005.
- In the month of September, Jack Suwinski has as many singles (16) as he did in the last three months combined.
- Prior to Friday night’s game, Cody Bolton was recalled from the minor leagues. This is his seventh separate stint with the Pittsburgh Pirates this season.
Around the Network:
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: UPDATED: Penguins Waive Ty Smith, Rem Pitlick; Send 9 to AHL
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Pat Narduzzi May Know the Starting Quarterback, But He Won’t Reveal It