Thanks to a big night from Miguel Andujar and a pinch-hit homer from Joshua Palacios, the Pittsburgh Pirates (72-81) defeated the Chicago Cubs (79-74) by a score of 8-6 to earn a series victory.
Andujar collected three hits and drove in three runs and Palacios his his second three-run home run is as many nights to carry the Pirates to the win.
The Pirates’ road trip continues at Great American Ballpark with a weekend series against the Cincinnati Reds.
Friday’s first pitch is set for 6:40 ET and the game will be aired on AT&T SportsNet.
Beautiful night for a ballgame with clear skies and temperatures around 80 degrees for first pitch. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.
The Pittsburgh Pirates Have Yet to Announce a Starter
The Cincinnati Reds will send out LHP Andrew Abbott (8-5, 3.68 ERA)
It’s been a struggle for Abbott over his last five starts. In those five outings, the left-hander has a 6.33 ERA (15er/21.1ip).
Over that stretch, opponents have slashed .282/.392/.471 against him.
Abbott pitched against the Pirates on Aug. 11 at PNC Park and got the win after holding the Pirates to two runs in 5.2 innings pitched and struck out nine.
Pirates Hitters vs. Abbott
- Bryan Reynolds: 2 for 3, one double
- Ke’Bryan Hayes: 1 for 3, one home run, one RBI
- Since the Pirates selected him as a September call-up, Miguel Andujar is hitting .368 with a 1.032 ERA in 12 games.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes had two more doubles on Thursday and now has multi-hit games in five of his last six played.
- This is the Pittsburgh Pirates first trip to Great American Ballpark since the first season of the season, when they dropped two out of three from the Reds.
Around the Network:
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: BREAKING: Guentzel is Back on the Ice, Skates Today
Pittsburgh Sports Now: 2025 4-Star Shooting Guard To Visit Pitt Basketball Saturday