A pair of top Pittsburgh Pirates prospects in Endy Rodriguez and Termarr Johnson had big nights at the plate on Friday night.
Rodriguez belted a grand slam as part of a big-time performance with the bat for Triple-A Indianapolis in their win over the Omaha Storm Chasers.
Down at Low-A Bradenton, Johnson was on base five times with four hits and a walk. Two of those hits left the yard as Johnson slugged his ninth and 10th home runs of the season for the Marauders.
Both prospects started the second half of the season on the right foot, and they were joined by a handful of their peers with impressive performances on Friday night.
Here are all the Pirates’ prospects who stood out.
C Endy Rodriguez
- Game stats: 3 for 5, one home run, five RBIs, three runs, one walk
- Season stats: .265/.352/.407, 14 doubles, three triples, six home runs, 38 RBIs, four steals, 66 games
SS Liover Peguero
- Game stats: 2 for 5, two home runs, two RBIs, two runs
- Season stats: .261/.346/.609, one triple, two home runs, five RBIs, two steals, six games
In addition to Rodriguez, Peguero connected on his first two Triple-A home runs as the Indians rolled to a 13-5 win over Omaha.
Canaan Smith-Njigba doubled twice, drove in a run and drew a walk while Pirates prospect Alika Williams had two hits, two walks and two runs scored. Something to keep an eye on is Quinn Priester only worked one inning in the start.
LF Matt Fraizer
- Game stats: 1 for 4, one home run, two RBIs, one run
- Season stats: .256/.336/.376, 13 doubles, six home runs, 29 RBIs, 15 steals, 72 games
RHP Bear Bellomy
- Game stats: 2.0 innings, one hit, no runs, no walks, four strikeouts
- Season stats: 3-0, 6.48 ERA, 12er/16.2ip, 16 hits, nine walks, 16 strikeouts, 12 appearances
Despite Fraizer’s homer and Bellomy’s strong work out of the bullpen, Altoona was defeated 7-2 by the New Hampshire Fisher Cats.
Pirates prospect Chavez Young went 1 for 2 with a walk and a run scored.
2B Francisco Acuna
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one home run, one double, two RBIs, one run, one steal
- Season stats: .385/.385/.769, two doubles, one home run, two RBIs, one steal, three games
RF Sammy Siani
- Game stats: 2 for 3, one double, one run, one walk
- Season stats: .221/.328/.364, seven doubles, seven home runs, 29 RBIs, 13 steals, 60 games
Acuna had a huge game for Greensboro and Siani added a pair of hits, but the Grasshoppers fell 6-3 to the Brooklyn Cyclones.
Pirates prospect Will Matthiessen went 2 for 4 with a double.
2B Termarr Johnson
- Game stats: 4 for 4, two home runs, four RBIs, two runs, one walk
- Season stats: .246/.410/.443, eight doubles, one triple, 10 home runs, 37 RBIs, four steals, 61 games
DH Josiah Sightler
- Game stats: 1 for 1, one double, one RBI, three walks
- Season stats: .514/.535/.886, four doubles, three home runs, 15 RBIs, 10 games
Johnson’s best game as a pro combined with another strong game from Sightler led to an 8-6 win for Bradenton over the Dunedin Blue Jays.
Pirates prospect Nick Cimillo hit his sixth homer of the season while Enmanuel Terrero singled, walked, scored twice and stole two bases.