As the second half of the minor league season kicks off, it’s time to look at the final Pittsburgh Pirates’ affiliate — Triple-A Indianapolis.
While Pirates’ prospects such as Henry Davis, Nick Gonzales and others have been promoted to the big leagues, there are still some noteworthy players performing well.
There’s a good chance we see at least a handful of these players in Pittsburgh by the end of the regular season. Here who has been playing well.
INF Vinny Capra
- Season stats: .307/.443/.400, four doubles, one home run, 16 RBIs, four steals, 26 games
Acquired from Toronto for Tyler Heineman earlier in the season, Capra has been playing at a high level since joining the organization.
OF Canaan Smith-Njigba
- Season stats: .247/.335/.478, 13 doubles, one triple, nine home runs, 30 RBIs, eight steals, 48 games
Smith-Njigba has already been up with the Pirates this season and he could return if he keeps playing well.
INF Alika Williams
- Season stats: .271/.355/.448, five doubles, four home runs, 12 RBIs, three steals, 27 games
Like with Capra, Williams was acquired during the regular season from the Rays. He’s turned around his season with Indianapolis.
INF Aaron Shackelford
- Season stats: .237/.356/.443, 12 doubles, one triple, 11 home runs, 38 RBIs, seven steals, 72 games
Shackelford has been a steady contributor for the Indians this season and has good power and on-base skills.
OF Ryan Vilade
- Season stats: .276/.401/.397, 12 doubles, two triples, four home runs, 30 RBIs, six steals, 67 games
Vilade has been ready as outfield depth had the Pirates needed it this season. Maybe he’ll get a shot in the second half.
C Endy Rodriguez
- Season stats: .258/.342/.390, 14 doubles, three triples, five home runs, 33 RBIs, four steals, 65 games
Rodriguez hasn’t quite looked like his usual self this season, but if he can heat up at the plate he’s almost a lock to make his debut with the Pirates.
RHP Quinn Priester
- Season stats: 7-3, 4.36 ERA, 42er/86.2ip, 83 hits, 35 walks, 84 strikeouts, 17 appearances/17 starts
Priester has been much better after a shaky start to the season. It’s entirely possible he gets at least a cup of coffee with the Pirates at some point in 2023, especially if a guy like Rich Hill is moved during the deadline.
LHP Cam Alldred
- Season stats: 5-1, 4.08 ERA, 26er/57.1ip, 52 hits, 19 walks, 53 strikeouts, 19 appearances/eight starts
The Pirates don’t have a ton of starting pitching depth at the moment and Alldred could be a callup if he’s needed.
RHP Travis MacGregor
- Season stats: 1-0, 2.13 ERA, 3er/12.2ip, 15 hits, six walks, nine strikeouts, six appearances/one start
MacGregor has gotten good results between Double-A and Triple-A this season.
RHP Colin Selby
- Season stats: 0-0, 3.86 ERA, 10er/23.1ip, 16 hits, 15 walks, 30 strikeouts, four saves, 22 appearances
Selby was on the shelf for a bit, but he’s back now and could make his big league debut before the season ends.
A pair of top Pirates’ prospects in Jared Jones and Liover Peguero were recently promoted to Triple-A. While they haven’t gotten the best results so far, they too could make an appearance in Pittsburgh at some point this year.