The Pittsburgh Pirates (41-49) are back from the All-Star break, and will get back into action at home against the San Francisco Giants (49-41).
The last time the Pirates took the field was on July 9 against the Arizona Diamondbacks, where the Pirates won 4-2 thanks to Ji-Man Choi and a strong combined effort from the bullpen.
Game one between between the Pirates and Giants will be at PNC Park, with first pitch at 7:05 Eastern. You can watch all of the action on Apple+ TV (subscription required).
Partly cloudy skies are to be expected, with a temperature of 84 degrees at first pitch. In addition, a southwest wind of six mph will be present as well
The Pirates will send out LHP Rich Hill (7-9, 4.78 ERA)
Hill was roughed up in his last outing on July 7 against the Diamondbacks. In four innings pitched, Hill allowed seven hits, five earned runs, four walks, and struck out three.
In addition, Hill has given up a home run in back-to-back starts after going three consecutive games without allowing one (June 16-27).
Another issue for Hill as of late, has been his control. Since June 4 (39.1 innings), Hill has walked 21 batters. Walks will kill you, and as of late, they have been Hill’s main nemesis.
Hill has faced the Giants 19 times (19 starts) and holds an 8-3 record with an ERA of 2.73 in 102.1 innings.
The Giants will send out RHP Ross Stripling (0-2, 6.37 ERA)
Stripling has wavered back and forth between the bullpen and starting games fro the Giants this year. His last two appearances (July 2-7) have been starts.
In both of those starts, Stripling was used as an opener with one start going just two innings, and the other going 3.2.
Stripling offers a five-pitch mix with a slider (29.2%), four-seam (27.8%), changeup (23.2%), curveball (11.3%), and a sinker (6.7%).
Stripling has faced the Pirates seven times (three starts) and holds a 2-1 record with an ERA of 4.13 in 24 innings pitched.
Giants vs. Hill
- Brandon Crawford: 11-23 with a double and five walks
- Michael Conforto: 2-9 with two homers and four strikeouts
- Austin Slater: 1-7 with a homer
Pirates Hitters vs. Stripling
- Andrew McCutchen: 6-11 with a double and two homers
- Carlos Santana: 2-12 with three strikeouts
- Hill’s 102.1 innings pitched against the Giants is the most he’s pitched against any other team. The team that comes in second place is actually a tie between the Reds and Padres at 77.1 innings.
- Five of Stripling’s seven appearances against the Pirates have come at PNC Park where he holds a 2-0 record with an ERA of 3.21.
Around The Network
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: Jarry: After Injury-Plagued Year, I’m 100 Percent Healthy
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Pitt Interested In Northwestern Players Following the Firing of HC Pat Fitzgerald?