Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Jared Triolo has seemingly flown under the radar for much of his minor league career, but that may be starting to change.
Triolo has had a nice year for Triple-A Indianapolis since returning from injury this season. On Wednesday, he made some headlines by stealing four bases in one game.
The 25-year-old is arguably the top defender in the Pirates’ system and has shown he can be capable with the bat.
Even though Low-A Bradenton was rained out, it was a loaded Wednesday as both Indianapolis and Altoona played double headers. Here are the Pirates’ prospects of note.
INF Jared Triolo
- Game stats (two games): 4 for 6, one double, two RBIs, three runs, one walk, four steals
- Season stats: .288/.397/.398, 12 doubles, one triple, one home run, 22 RBIs, eight steals, 33 games
DH/PH Aaron Shackelford
- Game stats (two games): 2 for 5, one home run, three RBIs, two runs
- Season stats: .246/.382/.475, nine doubles, one triple, 10 home runs, 31 RBIs, sox steals, 58 games
Triolo and Shackelford were each big producers as the split a doubleheader with the Columbus Clippers.
In game one, Pirates prospect Nick Gonzales doubled, was on base three times and scored a run. Endy Rodriguez doubled home a pair and stole a base.
SS Liover Peguero
- Game stats (two games): 2 for 6, one home run, one double, one RBI, one run
- Season stats: .273/.338/.462, 18 doubles, one triple, nine home runs, 32 RBIs, 15 steals, 60 games
RHP Braxton Ashcraft
- Game stats: 3.0 innings, two hits, one run (zero earned runs), no walks, four strikeouts
- Season stats: 0-0, 0.00 ERA, 0er/3.0ip, two hits, four strikeouts, one appearance/one start
Altoona swept a doubleheader over the Bowie Baysox thanks to a couple of big hits from Peguero and a strong Double-A Debut for Ashcraft in game one.
In game two, Pirates prospect Nick Domkowski threw four shutout innings as Altoona squeaked out a 1-0 victory.
SS Maikol Escotto
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one home runs, three RBIs, two runs
- Season stats: .204/.255/.326, seven doubles, five home runs, 23 RBIs, five steals, 52 games
RHP J.P. Massey
- Game stats: 5.0 innings, three hits, no runs, four walks, four strikeouts
- Season stats: 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 0er/5.0ip, three hits, four walks, four strikeouts, one appearances/one start
Massey went five-scoreless in his High-A debut and Escotto homered for the second straight games in Greensboro’s 11-2 win over the Winston-Salem Dash.
Jase Bowen also homered for the Grasshoppers while Pirates prospect Mike Jarvis singled, tripled, drove in three, scored twice and stole a base.
POSTPONED DUE TO RAIN