The Pittsburgh Pirates may have had one of the most curious stat lines in their minor league system in quite some time.
Po-Yu Chen originally signed back in Oct. 2020 out of Taiwan, and he may have put together one of the most brilliant pitching lines for the Greensboro Grasshoppers on Wednesday.
The righty is 21-years-old and has been in High-A since the beginning of the 2023 season.
Chen wasn’t the only one to have himself a night; let’s check out some of these Pirates’ prospects and see how the farm fared on Wednesday night.
Rained out, doubleheader on Thursday
RHP Sean Sullivan
- Game stats: 7.0 IP, seven hits, two earned runs, one walk, and five strikeouts
- Season stats: 4-4, 4.11 ERA, 81 innings pitched, 27 walks, and 67 strikeouts in 18 games (17 starts)
SS Tsung-Che Cheng
- Game stats: 3-5 (played in both games for the doubleheader), one RBI, and two runs scored
- Season stats: .305/.377/.504, 11 homers, 10 triples, 17 doubles, and 44 RBIs. (351 at-bats, or 91 games played between High-A and Double-A)
Altoona had to play a doubleheader on Wednesday and split the two games with the Erie Seawolves. In game one, Sullivan pitched a gem and earned the complete game (seven innings), giving the Curve a 4-2 win.
Cheng upped his hitting streak to 17 games, going 3-5 (both games combined), but unfortunately for the Curve, they fell in game two by a score of 5-2.
RHP Po-Yu Chen
- Game stats: 4.2 IP, two hits, no runs, two walks, and 12 strikeouts
- Season stats: 5-6, 3.82 ERA, 103.2 IP, 36 walks, and 109 strikeouts in 20 games (19 starts)
SS Jack Brannigan
- Game stats: 2-5, two homers, four RBIs, and two runs scored
- Season stats: .274/.397/.525, 13 homers, three triples, ten doubles and 33 RBIs. (219 at-bats, or 64 games played between Low-A and High-A)
The Grasshoppers went off Wednesday night. Not only did Chen strike out 12 batters in just 4.2 innings pitched, but the offense also exploded to the tune of 13 runs.
Jase Bowen, Brannigan (twice), Josiah Sightler, Sammy Siani, and Brenden Dixon all homered in a 13-4 win over Greenville.
2B Charles McAdoo
- Game stats: 2-4, one RBI, and one walk
- Season stats: .650/.708/1.000, two homers, one double, and 11 RBIs. (20 at-bats, or five games)
3B Garret Forrester
- Game Stats: 1-3, two RBIs, and a walk
- Season Stats: .200/.500/.200, two RBIs, and eight walks. (15 at-bats, or five games)
The Marauders had multiple opportunities to win their game against Fort Myers but fell 10-5.
Bradenton’s offense was inept, as the team went 3-16 with runners in scoring position and didn’t manage to get an extra-base hit at any point.
RHP Owen Kellington had the best day regarding pitchers, but even he struggled, giving up five walks in three innings of relief.
The good news for Kellington was he only allowed one hit and no earned runs.