A handful of more highly-regarded Pirates’ prospects performed well Friday night, including another strong effort from Endy Rodriguez with Double-A Altoona and a solid start for Mike Burrows for Triple-A Indianapolis.
There are only three affiliates to report on for the Pittsburgh Pirates in this edition as the High-A Greensboro Grasshoppers’ game against the Rome Braves was postponed due to inclement weather.
Indianapolis Indians (56-57)
RHP Mike Burrows
- Game: 5.0 innings, four hits, no runs, one walk, six strikeouts
- Season: 1-3, 4.31 ERA, 39.2 innings, 40 hits, 10 walks, 40 strikeouts, 10 games/eight starts
OF Cal Mitchell
- Game: 2 for 3 with a home run, a double, three RBIs, a run, and a walk
- Season: .322/.373/.512, 16 doubles, one triple, seven home runs, 41 RBIs, seven steals, 55 games
Mitchell, who has been on a tear with the Indians, provided all the offense in the 3-2 victory over the Iowa Cubs. Burrows had one of his best outings since being promoted to Triple-A in the middle of the season.
Pirates’ prospects Joe Jacques provided two scoreless innings of relief, and Eric Hanhold picked up his eighth save.
Altoona Curve (56-56)
INF/C Endy Rodriguez
- Game: 2 for 4 with two RBIs and two runs
- Season: .375/.444/.656, three doubles, two home runs, 7 RBIs, eight games
C Blake Sabol
- Game: 2 for 4 with a double, a triple, and two RBIs
- Season: .274/.342/.478, 21 doubles, five triples, 13 home runs, 56 RBIs, nine steals, 92 games
The Curve improved to .500 with their 6-5 win over the Harrisburg Senators. For the eight straight games since his promotion, Rodriguez recorded a hit – two in this one. He manned second base for the first time in Altoona. Sabol had a pair of extra-base hits and drove in two.
Aaron Shackelford and Andres Alvarez each collected multi-hit games and a home run. Malcom Nunez also had a pair of hits.
Greensboro Grasshoppers (47-62)
GAME POSTPONED – DOUBLEHEADER ON SATURDAY
Bradenton Marauders (58-53)
INF Tsung-Che Cheng
- Game: 1 for 3 with a home run, an RBI, two runs, a steal, and a walk
- Season: .270/.366/.429, 21 doubles, six triples, six home runs, 43 RBIs, 25 steals, 86 games
OF Tres Gonzalez
- Game: 1 for 3 with an RBI and a walk
- Season: .273/.385/.273, three RBIs, seven games
It feels like Cheng is on this list for about the 100th time, but the infielder slugged a home run in the Marauders’ 9-3 loss to the Tampa Tarpons. Gonzalez drove in a run and was on base twice.
Jack Brannigan picked up a pair of stolen bases, including a steal of home in the loss.