The Pittsburgh Pirates (70-81) were clobbered 14-1 by the Chicago Cubs (79-72) on Tuesday night at Wrigley Field.
The Cubs slugged four home runs in their win against four different Pirates’ pitchers. On the Pirates’ side of things, Ke’Bryan Hayes was responsible for their lone run with his 14th home run of the season.
The Bucs will look to put that shellacking behind them as they try and even the series on Wednesday night.
First pitch is set for 7:40 ET and the game will be aired on AT&T SportsNet.
Looks like it’ll be a good night for baseball with some clouds in the sky and temperatures ranging throughout the 70s. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
The Pittsburgh Pirates Will Send Out RHP Mitch Keller (12-9-4.04 ERA)
Keller’s last outing was a great one. The right-hander worked 8.0 scoreless innings against the Washington Nationals on Thursday afternoon.
It was the second time in his last four starts that Keller has tossed 8.0 innings of shutout ball. On Aug. 25, Keller did the same thing against these Cubs at PNC Park.
In his career against Chicago, Keller is 3-4 with 4.29 ERA in 10 appearances (nine starts). He has a 3.77 ERA in four appearances (three starts) at Wrigley.
The Chicago Cubs Will Send Out LHP Justin Steele (16-4, 2.73 ERA)
Steele’s excellent season took a bit of a hit in his last start against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
In that game, the left-hander was tagged for six runs and a pair of homers in 6.0 innings pitched, and the Cubs were defeated 6-4.
Steele is second in baseball in wins (16) and ERA (2.73) and is tied for third in quality starts (20).
He most recently faced the Pirates on Aug. 24 and allowed three runs (two earned) in 6.0 innings. For his career, Steele has a 3.80 ERA against Pittsburgh.
Cubs Hitters vs. Keller
- Ian Happ: 8 for 19, two doubles, two home runs, three RBIs, five walks, four strikeouts
- Dansby Swanson: 4 for 10, three doubles, three RBIs, one walk, three strikeouts
- Nico Hoerner: 1 for 6, one double, one RBI, one walk, one strikeout
- Mike Tauchman: 0 for 6, one walk, one strikeout
- Cody Bellinger: 1 for 5, one strikeout
- Yan Gomes: 0 for 5, one strikeout
- Seiya Suzuki: 3 for 4, one double
- Nick Madrigal: 1 for 3
- Patrick Wisdom: 0 for 3, two strikeouts
Pirates Hitters vs. Steele
- Bryan Reynolds: 2 for 10, one home run, one RBI, one walk, one strikeout
- Kr’Bryan Hayes: 3 for 7, one double, one home run, two RBIs, one walk, one strikeout
- Connor Joe: 4 for 6, two walks
- Joshua Palacios: 1 for 3, one home run, two RBIs, one strikeout
- Alfonso Rivas: 1 for 3, one double, one strikeout
- Jack Suwinski: 0 for 3, one strikeout
- Alika Williams: 0 for 3, one strikeout
- Keller is currently 10th in the major leagues with 198 strikeouts on the season.
- Hayes was the only player with multiple hits in Tuesday’s game for the Pirates. He finished the game 2 for 4.
- After losing to the Cubs on Tuesday, the Pittsburgh Pirates fell to 1-10 against them this season. They haven’t won a game at Wrigley since last May.
Around the Network:
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: 2023 Penguins Training Camp Schedule & Roster
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Pat Narduzzi Linked to Michigan State Head Coaching Vacancy