Max Kranick stumbled out of the gate on Wednesday during his fourth rehab start in the minor leagues for the Pittsburgh Pirates since recovering from Tommy John surgery.
Kyle Nicolas, meanwhile, continued his impressive scoreless outing streak out of the bullpen.
Two out of the three starters in the Pirates farm system disappointed Wednesday night, but Thomas Harrington dazzled for Greensboro as he went six full innings without allowing an earned run.
Let’s head to the farm and check these promising Pirates’ prospects.
SS Chris Owings
- Game stats: 2-3, one run scored, one walk, and one RBI
- Season stats: .236/.342/.424, ten homers, two triples, 13 doubles, and 29 RBIs
RHP Kyle Nicolas
- Game stats: 1.0 IP, no hits, no runs, no walks, and a strikeout
- Season stats: 4-7, 5.44 ERA, 91.0 IP, 47 walks, and 114 strikeouts in 29 games (17 starts)
The Indians fell to Buffalo 6-2 Wednesday afternoon and have now lost the series’ first two games. In addition, Kranick made another rehab start.
Kranick allowed three runs in 1.1 innings while allowing two hits, walking two, and striking out one. Nicolas has now gone six consecutive outings (7.1 innings pitched) without allowing a run.
RHP Justin Meis
- Game stats: 3.0 IP, no hits, no runs, no walks, and one strikeout
- Season stats: 4-3, 4.79 ERA, 73.1 IP, 40 walks, and 66 strikeouts in 25 games (eight starts)
1B Jacob Gonzalez
- Game stats: 1-3, a homer, and two RBIs
- Season stats: .228/.291/.346, eight homers, seven doubles, and 37 RBIs (263 at-bats, or 74 games)
It was rough for Jackson Wolf and the Curve, as they lost 9-2. Wolf lasted just three innings while giving up seven hits, three runs, three walks, and one strikeout.
Meis pitched three perfect innings after Wolf’s departure.
Gonzalez was the only Curve player to drive in any runs. In addition, Carter Bins and Gonzalez recorded the only extra-base hits.
1B Josiah Sightler
- Game stats: 1-2, one homer, one run scored, and three RBIs
- Season stats: .342/.410/.577, 13 homers, seven doubles, and 49 RBIs (196 at-bats, or 52 games between the FCL, Low-A, and High-A)
RHP Thomas Harrington
- Game stats: 6.0 IP, three hits, one run (zero earned), three walks, and five strikeouts
- Season stats: 7-6, 3.54 ERA, 119.1 IP, 37 walks, and 134 strikeouts in 24 games (24 starts)
Greensboro answered back from Tuesday’s loss with a 6-2 victory over Hickory on Wednesday night. Harrington was marvelous, and Sightler hit a three-run bomb in the first inning to virtually seal it for the Grasshoppers.
DNP- Games will resume on Thursday, Aug. 31