Luis Ortiz made another start for the Indianapolis Indians (Pittsburgh Pirates Triple-A team), and he put forth a reasonably good game.
There were some positive signs with Ortiz in his start on Saturday night. His velocity averaged 96.3, but there were troubling signs as well.
For instance, Ortiz’s fastball was put into play nine times and had an average exit velocity of 97.3 mph (not good). In addition, Ortiz’s slider had just three whiffs.
I’m not going to down someone who went five complete and gave up just one run, but his old habits and concerning signs are still very prominent.
There were plenty of other Pirates’ prospects to take a look at. Let’s see how the rest of the farm shaped up on a Saturday night.
RHP Luis Ortiz
- Game stats: 5.0 IP, three hits, one run, no walks, and three strikeouts
- Season stats: 4-4, 4.15 ERA, 52.0 IP, 24 walks, and 48 strikeouts in 12 games (11 starts)
3B Domingo Leyba
- Game stats: 2-3, one homer and two RBIs
- Season stats: .362/.441/.582, seven homers, one triple, eight doubles, and 27 RBIs (141 at-bats, or 42 games between Double-A and Triple-A)
The Indians finally tasted victory in their series against Nashville. Ortiz tossed five innings, and Leyba continued his hot streak with Indianapolis.
The Indians defeated the Sound 3-2.
LHP Geronimo Franzua
- Game stats: 1.2 IP, no hits, no runs, no walks, and three strikeouts
- Season stats: 2-2, 5.64 ERA, 22.1 IP, six walks, and 26 strikeouts in 18 games (one start)
DH Jacob Gonzalez
- Game stats: 1-3 with one RBI
- Season stats: .231/.289/.345, seven homers, six doubles, and 32 RBIs (238 at-bats, or 66 games)
Rain shortened the Altoona Curve and Erie Seawolves game after the sixth inning. Jacob Gonzalez put forth the only Curve RBI on the night.
Jackson Wolf was cruising until the fourth inning and suffered a 4-1 defeat Saturday night. In addition, Matt Fraizer was the only player for the Curve to have a multi-hit game, going 2-3.
LF Jase Bowen
- Game stats: 2-3, one homer, and one RBI
- Season stats: .266/.345/.497, 22 homers, four triples, 11 doubles, and 80 RBIs (368 at-bats, or 93 games)
BB Josiah Sightler
- Game stats: 2-5, two homers, four RBIs, and two runs scored
- Season stats: .381/.448/.653, 11 homers, seven doubles, and 40 RBIs (147 at-bats, or 39 games between the FCL, Low-A, and High-A)
The Grasshoppers fell to Greenville Saturday night after a blown lead from RHP Santiago Florez in the bottom of the seventh inning.
Sightler blasted two homers for the Grasshoppers, and Jase Bowen hit his league-leading 22nd homer. Despite all of the fireworks, the Grasshoppers fell 8-7.
LHP Yoldin De Los Plaz
- Game stats: 2.0 IP, no hits, no runs, two walks, and two strikeouts
- Season stats: 3-0, 5.63 ERA, 32.0 IP, 22 walks, and 35 strikeouts in 24 games (no starts)
LHP Jaden Woods
- Game Stats: 2.0 IP, no hits, no runs, one walk, and one strikeout
- Season Stats: 0-0, 0.00 ERA, 3.0 IP, one walk, and three strikeouts in two games
The Marauders’ offense was stale in their 3-1 defeat against Fort Myers. Hunter Barco went two innings and gave up one earned run (two all together).
Owen Sharts, De La Paz, and Woods all combined to go six innings and give up no earned runs. Sharts did have a run score on him, but it’s registered as unearned.