Out of all the Pittsburgh Pirates affiliates on Wednesday night, the Altoona Curve took the cake. Matt Fraizer went 4-5, Aaron Shortridge battled through five innings, and they held the Rubber Ducks to just one run.
It was a night of winning for the Pirates’ affiliates, as they nearly had the sweep from Low-A to Triple-A. The lone loss Wednesday night came from Greensboro.
Let’s look at some of these intriguing Pirates’ prospects down on the farm.
LF Ryan Vilade
- Game stats: 2-4 and two RBIs
- Season stats: .262/.375/.369, five homers, three triples, 16 doubles, and 41 RBIs (344 at-bats, or 98 games
RF Canaan Smith-Njigba
- Game stats: 2-5, one run scored, and an RBI
- Season stats: .248/.340/.432, 11 homers, one triple, 19 doubles, and 47 RBIs (294 at-bats, or 80 games)
The Indians shook off the bad vibes after their game one loss on Tuesday and returned with a vengeance Wednesday night.
Starter Cam Alldred went five full innings while giving up three earned runs. In addition, Vilade led the way with two RBIs on the night for the Indians as they beat Iowa 9-4.
LF Matt Fraizer
- Game stats: 4-5, two runs scored, and an RBI
- Season stats: .256/.330/.364, seven homers, two triples, 15 doubles, 19 stolen bases, and 42 RBIs (371 at-bats, or 103 games)
1B Will Matthiessen
- Game stats: 2-4, a double, and three RBIs
- Season stats: .226/.311/.399, 12 homers, two triples, 15 doubles, and 57 RBIs (318 at-bats, or 87 games between High-A and Double-A)
The Curve have won two straight against Akron and opened up a 2-0 series lead.
Aaron Shortridge battled some control issues with four walks but went five strong innings while giving up Akron’s only run of the game.
Fraizer went 4-5, and Will Matthiessen drove in three runs in a 2-4 effort. As a result, the Curve beat the Rubber Ducks 8-1.
1B Josiah Sightler
- Game stats: 1-4 and two RBIs
- Season stats: .345/.415/.588, 12 homers, seven doubles, and 44 RBIs (177 at-bats, or 47 games between the FCL, Low-A, and High-A
SS Jack Brannigan
- Game stats: 2-4 and one RBI
- Season stats: .279/.387/.543, 18 homers, three triples, ten doubles, 22 stolen bases, and 47 RBIs (265 at-bats or 75 games between Low-A and High-A)
The Grasshoppers were the only Pirates affiliate to lose Wednesday night.
Starting pitcher Derek Diamond nearly went eight full innings and gave up three earned runs (four total). After some errors, the Grasshoppers fell 6-5.
In addition, Jase Bowen did not register a hit but recorded two RBIs on the night.
RHP Owen Kellington
- Game stats: 5.0 IP, four hits, no runs, one walk, and one strikeout
- Season stats: 1-2, 3.63 ERA, 72.0 IP, 45 walks, and 82 strikeouts in 21 games (16 starts)
RHP Brandon Bidois
- Game stats: 2.0 IP, one hit, no runs, no walks, and four strikeouts
- Season stats: 2-0, 2.37 ERA, 19.0 IP, 11 walks, and 35 strikeouts in 18 games (no starts)
The Marauders had to sweat one out but pulled off the 2-1 victory over Jupiter. In addition, no player from Bradenton registered an RBI, yet they scored two runs in the game.
In the top of the second, Geovanny Planchart reached base safely after a fielding error and two runs scored. That’s all Kellington, Jaden Woods, and Bidois would need as they held the Hammerheads to just one run.