Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Jared Jones is one of the top pitchers in the organization, and the right-hander checked off a first in his development.
While his transition to Triple-A hasn’t gone without its bumps, Jones threw four terrific innings for Indianapolis and was awarded the win — his first at the top level of the minor leagues.
Jones came into the game in relief of J.C. Flowers, who was used as a one-inning opener, and had one of his better performances with the Indians.
In addition to Jones, here are the Pirates’ prospects who performed the best as all four affiliates were winners on Friday night.
RHP Jared Jones
- Game stats: 4.0 innings, one hit, one run, two walks, seven strikeouts
- Season stats: 1-1, 5.12 ERA, 11er/19.2ip, 17 hits, eight walks, 24 strikeouts,, four appearances/three starts
2B Alika Williams
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one double, one RBI, one run
- Season stats: .287/.370/.448, five doubles, three home runs, 11 RBIs, three steals, 25 games
Williams’ continued solid play since joining the organization helped Jones and the Indians earn a 2-1 victory over the Memphis Redbirds.
Pirates prospects Ryan Vilade and Vinny Capra each had two hits in the game.
LF Matt Fraizer
- Game stats: 3 for 4, one double, one RBI, two runs, one walk, two steals
- Season stats: .252/.335/.364, 13 doubles, five home runs, 27 RBIs, 15 steals, 70 games
3B Jackson Glenn
- Game stats: 3 for 4, one double, one RBI, two runs, one walk, one steal
- Season stats: .294/.400/.412, two doubles, three RBIs, two steals, four games
Fraizer and Glenn combined for six hits and eight times on base as Altoona held off the Erie SeaWolves 8-7.
Lolo Sanchez, Jacob Gonzalez, Tsung-Che Cheng, Claudio Finol and Chavez Young all had two hits apiece while Pirates prospect Aaron Shortridge allowed only two runs across 7.0 innings.
RHP Thomas Harrington
- Game stats: 6.0 innings, five hits, one run, two walks, five strikeouts
- Season stats: 0-1, 3.98 ERA, 14er/31.2ip, 36 hits, nine walks, 38 strikeouts, seven appearances/seven starts
DH Tres Gonzalez
- Game stats: 3 for 5, one home run, one RBI, one run
- Season stats: .277/.391/.393, 10 doubles, four home runs, 23 RBIs, 14 steals, 50 games
Harrington was dominant on the mound and Gonzalez stayed hot for Greensboro in their 5-4 win over the Aberdeen IronBirds in 10 innings.
Pirates prospect Luke Brown delivered the walk-off, two-run single in the 10th and also homered in the game. On a rehab assignment, Travis Swaggerty went 1 for 3 with a triple and two walks.
DH Josiah Sightler
- Game stats: 4 for 4, one home run, one double, two RBIs, two runs, one walk
- Season stats: .571/.548/.964, two doubles, three home runs, 12 RBIs, seven games
C Geovany Planchart
- Game stats: 2 for 4, two RBIs, two runs, one walk
- Season stats: .244/.349/.319, six doubles, two home runs, 24 RBIs, two steals, 54 games
Sightler continued his torrid start with Bradenton while Planchart also had a nice game in the Marauders’ 9-5 win over the Daytona Tortugas.
Alexander Mojica was on base three times and scored twice and Pirates prospect Termarr Johnson drew a pair of walks and recorded a sacrifice fly.