PITTSBURGH — Johan Oviedo threw seven-strong innings for the Pittsburgh Pirates in their 4-1 win over the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday night at PNC Park.
After laboring threw a 26-pitch first inning, Oviedo (5-11) settled in nicely and held the Tigers to one run across his 7.0 innings pitched. The big right-hander allowed six hits, walked two and punched out five batters.
The lone blemish on Oviedo’s line came in the seventh inning when Akil Baddoo singled home Javier Báez in the seventh. Oviedo induced a double play off the bat of Jake Rogers to prevent any further damage.
The Pirates struck for three runs in the second inning. After a Connor Joe single, Endy Rodríguez followed with an RBI-triple off of the wall in left-center field. Two batters later, Liover Peguero belted a two-run home run to left field to push the Pirates ahead 3-0.
Two innings later, Josh Palacios plated Jared Triolo with a sacrifice fly to left field to tack on another run for the Pirates.
With the win, the Pirates have won five of their last seven games.
Star of the Game
Oviedo completed seven-full innings for the third time this season. It’s also the second time in his last four starts that he’s gone 7.0 frames (July 15 vs. Giants).
Stat to Know
After going 11 starts in between wins, Oviedo has been credited with back-to-back starts. It’s the first time in his career that Oviedo has picked up the win in back-to-back starts.
- With a single that was originally ruled an out but overturned to a hit in the third inning, Andrew McCutchen snapped an 0-for-15 skid at the plate.
- McCutchen hasn’t homered or driven in a run since sine June 30, when he hit a home run and drove in three in an 8-7 win over the Milwaukee Brewers.
- Alika Williams finished the game 2 for 3 with a double, giving him his first-career multi-hit game.
- Bryan Reynolds extended his hitting streak to five games after going 1 for 4.
- The Pirates traded Rich Hill and Ji-Man Choi to the San Diego Padres for first baseman Alfonso Rivas, left-handed pitcher Jackson Wolf and outfielder Estuar Suero.
- The Pirates and Philadelphia Phillies swapped Rodolfo Castro and left-hander Bailey Falter.
- Austin Hedges was traded to the Texas Rangers for international bonus pool money.
The Pirates (48-58) and Tigers (47-60) will wrap up their brief two-game series on Wednesday afternoon. Osvaldo Bido (2-1, 4.50 ERA) will be on the mound for Pittsburgh. He will be opposite left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez (6-5, 2.95 ERA). First pitch: 12:35.