For the third time in the last four games, the Pittsburgh Pirates pulled off a come-form-behind victory as Carlos Santana’s walk-off homer sunk the Milwaukee Brewer 8-7 on Friday night at PNC Park.
Santana’s first-pitch homer in the bottom of the ninth inning capped off a 3-for-5 night at the plate. The Pirates’ first baseman also recorded a pair of doubles.
Just as Santana did, Andrew McCutchen finished the game with three hits including a homer. McCutchen drove in three runs including one in the ninth inning on a double to set the stage for Santana.
This win for the Pirates snapped a nine-game losing streak against National League Central opponents.
- Santana’s home run followed by his epic dance moves in celebration as he reached home plate capped off a big-time win for the Pirates.
Star of the Game
The co-stars of the game go to McCutchen and Santana. The two veterans carried the Pirates to victory.
Stat of Interest
- McCutchen’s 10th homer of the season made him the only active player with double-digit home runs in every season since 2009. Nelson Cruz has also done it, but has five so far this season for the San Diego Padres.
- McCutchen has reached base safely in 19 straight games dating back to June 9. It’s the longest by a Pirates’ player this year and the longest for McCutchen since reaching base safely in 24-straight games in 2018.
- Carmen Mlodzinski earned his first-career big league win after throwing two innings out of the bullpen for the Pirates.
- With a two-run double in the fourth, Nick Gonzales’ first four hits in his career have been a single, double, triple and home run. He joins Ke’Bryan Hayes as the only Pirates since 1961 to “hit for the cycle” for their first four career hits..
- After going 3 for 5 with two doubles and a homer, Santana has a four-game hitting streak and six extra-base hits (three doubles, three home runs) during that span.
- Ji Hwan Bae snapped an 0-for-25 slump with a pinch-hit single to left to lead off the bottom of the ninth.
- This was the 81st game of the season for the Pirates, the halfway point of the 162-game slate. At 39-42, the Pirates have their best record under manager Derek Shelton at the season’s midpoint — 2021: 29-52, 2022: 33-48.
- The Pirates activated reliever Colin Holderman off the 15-day injured list and optioned right-hander Cody Bolton to Triple-A prior to the start of the game.
The Pirates (39-42) and Brewers (43-39) will continue their three-game series on Saturday evening. Johan Oviedo (3-8, 4.06 ERA) will look to continue his strong stretch on the mound. The Brewers will send out 2021 Cy Young winner Corbin Burnes (5-5, 4.10 ERA). First pitch: 4:05.