After a scheduled off day on Sunday, it’s time to check in on how the Pittsburgh Pirates’ minor leaguers are performing in the Arizona Fall League.
The Surprise Saguaros, the team rostering the eight Pirates’ prospects, currently has a two-game lead for first place in the league with a record of 11-6.
INF Nick Gonzales
- .270/.333/.541, 10 for 37, two doubles, one triple, two home runs, 10 RBIs, three walks, 10 games
Gonzales has been a steady force for the Saguaros’ lineup this fall. He is tied for the team lead in homers and leads the club with his 10 runs driven in.
C Henry Davis
- .300/.439/.567, 9 for 30, five doubles, one home run, four RBIs, six walks, two steals, 10 games
Davis has shown off his power with six extra-base hits. He is tied for third in the league with his five doubles.
C Blake Sabol
- .217/.357/.391, 5 for 23, one double, one home run, six RBIs, five walks, seven games
Sabol has gotten on base at a high rate and has sprinkled in a pair of extra-base hits for Surprise.
INF Jacob Gonzalez
- .125/.118/.313, 2 for 16, one home run, two RBIs, six games
Gonzalez recently picked up his first hit of the AFL season which was a solo home run. He hasn’t played as much as the other Pirates’ prospects on the position player side of things.
RHP Quinn Priester
- 0-1, 4.80 ERA, 15.0 innings, 14 hits, eight earned runs, six walks, 14 strikeouts, four appearances/four starts
Priester has been a bit up and down across his four starts for the Saguaros. He’s tied for the league lead in starts and innings.
LHP Omar Cruz
- 1-0, 1.04 ERA, 8.2 innings, four hits, one earned run, eight walks, seven strikeouts, five appearances
Despite control issues Cruz has been effective out of the bullpen for Surprise. He’s limited opponents to a .148 batting average against.
RHP Tahnaj Thomas
- 0-0, 11.12 ERA, 5.2 innings, five hits, seven earned runs, four walks, seven strikeouts, five appearances
Thomas has gotten off to a rough start to begin the season but he recently struck out the side in an appearance out of the bullpen.
RHP Colin Selby
- 0-0, 3.60 ERA, 5.0 innings, six hits, two earned runs, three walks, six strikeouts, five appearances
Selby has been a reliable relief option for Surprise through his first five appearances.