The Pittsburgh Pirates (48-58) kicked their short two-game series against the Detroit Tigers (47-60) in winning fashion on Tuesday night.
Johan Oviedo pitched a gem with seven innings, six hits, one earned run, two walks, and five strikeouts. In addition, the Young Bucs fueled this team thanks to an RBI-triple from Endy Rodriguez, and a two-run bomb from Liover Peguero.
As a result, the Pirates beat the Tigers 4-1.
First pitch at PNC Park on Wednesday is scheduled for 12:35 p.m. The game will be aired on AT&T SportsNet.
There is perfect baseball weather in the forecast, Wednesday afternoon. Temperatures will range from 79-83 degrees and there will be a slight three mph win blowing southwest.
The Pirates will send out RHP Osvaldo Bido (2-1, 4.50 ERA)
In his last appearance, Bido pitched three innings of shutout ball against the Los Angeles Angels in a piggyback situation. The rest of Bido’s line read four hits, no earned runs, one walk and three strikeouts.
Bido has kept the hard-hit balls to a minimum at the major league level (87.8 average exit velocity).
If Bido wants to stay in the big leagues, he will have to use more of his slider/sinker combination and start to wind down from his four-seam usage. Opponents have hit Bido’s four-seam at a .368 clip.
Bido has never faced the Tigers in his career.
The Tigers will send out LHP Eduardo Rodriguez (6-5, 2.95 ERA)
In his last start, Rodriguez struggled against the Angels. On July 25, Rodriguez went just 4.2 innings, while giving up seven hits, four earned runs, three walks, and struck out three.
Rodriguez offers mainly a three-pitch set with a four seam (42.8%), cutter (21.7%), and a changeup (18.7%). In addition, Rodriguez has thrown a sinker (10%) and slider (6.8%).
Rodriguez’ four-seam has actually been his worst pitch (statistically speaking). Opponents have a .250 average with an average exit velocity of 90.8 and a launch angle of 20.
Rodriguez has faced the Pirates twice (two starts) and holds an 0-1 record with an ERA of 5.23 in 10.1 innings pitched.
Tigers Hitters vs. Bido
Pirates Hitters vs. Rodriguez
- Andrew McCutchen: 5-12 with a homer, two walks, and five strikeouts
- Connor Joe: 1-3 with a strikeout
- Bryan Reynolds: 1-3 with a double and strikeout
- With Oviedo picking up the victory on Tuesday, it marked the first time in his career, that he won two straight starts.
- Endy Rodriguez hit his second triple in 13 games at the major league level. Rodriguez is now the fastest Pirates catcher to have two doubles in franchise history.
- In Tuesday’s win, Liover Peguero hit is second home run in his last three contests and now has three since being recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis.
Around The Network
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: Jake Guentzel Market Value; Should Penguins Trade or Sign?
Steelers Now: Top 5 Winners from First Week at Steelers Training Camp
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Penn Hills Star, 3-Star QB Julian Dugger Commits to Pitt