The Pittsburgh Pirates moved RHP Max Kranick from Low-A Bradenton to Triple-A Indianapolis and he appeared to be on track as his rehab assignment progresses.
Kranick mostly stuck with his slider (43% usage) and induced four out of his five whiffs with the pitch. Only two were put into play out of ten total swings on Kranick’s slider.
There were a few other Pirates prospects from Indy and other places who put on a show Friday night. Let’s head down to the farm and check-in.
RHP Max Kranick
- Game stats: 2.2 IP, one hit, no runs, one walk, and four strikeouts
- Season stats: 0-1, 6.43 ERA, 7.0 IP, four walks, and six strikeouts in three games (three starts)
RHP Quinn Priester
- Game stats: 5.0 IP, two hits, one run, one walk, and nine strikeouts
- Season stats: 8-3, 4.00 ERA, 96.2 IP, 39 walks, and 99 strikeouts in 20 games (19 starts)
It was a low-scoring affair for the Indians and Iowa Cubs Friday night. Kranick made his first start in Triple-A and has appeared in three games in 2023 since having Tommy John surgery.
The Indians and Cubs were tied going into the eighth inning until Miguel Andujar grounded into a fielder’s choice, scoring Grant Koch.
The Koch run gave the Indians a 2-1 lead, and that’s how the game would end.
RF Joe Perez
- Game stats: 1-3, one homer, one run scored, one walk, and one RBI
- Season stats: .264/.337/.437, 15 homers, two triples, 14 doubles, and 56 RBIs (364 at-bats, or 99 games between Triple-A and Double-A)
1B Matt Gorski
- Game stats: 1-4, one homer, one run scored, and three RBIs
- Season stats: .236/.294/.430, 16 homers, two triples, 12 doubles, and 52 RBIs (330 at-bats, or 86 games)
Anthony Solometo was cruising until he hit the fifth inning, where Akron hit a two-run homer, tying the game. Solometo’s night was done after five, where he gave up two earned runs, walked two, and struck out five.
Gorski essentially carried the Curve throughout the contest with three RBIs, but it wasn’t enough as the Curve fell to the Rubber Ducks 5-4.
RHP J.P. Massey
- Game stats: 5.0 IP, one hit, one run (unearned), no walks, and five strikeouts
- Season stats: 5-6, 3.48 ERA, 77.2 IP, 43 walks, and 81 strikeouts in 19 games (17 starts)
RHP Dante Mendoza
- Game stats: 2.0 IP, no hits, no runs, one walk, and three strikeouts
- Season stats: 4-3, 3.13 ERA, 46.0 IP, 31 walks, and 64 strikeouts in 34 games (no starts)
The Grasshoppers won against Rome Friday night. Massey and the Hoppers’ bullpen held the Braves to just two hits and one run that was scored thanks to an error earlier in the inning.
Josiah Sightler, Wyatt Hendrie, Sammy Siani, and Maikol Escotto all picked up an RBI on the night, giving the Grasshoppers a 4-1 victory.
RHP Wilber Dotel
- Game stats: 5.0 IP, three hits, no runs, five walks, and four strikeouts
- Season stats: 6-2, 2.97 ERA, 69.2 IP, 39 walks, and 52 strikeouts in 16 games (13 starts)
1B Omar Alfonso
- Game stats: 2-4 and two RBIs
- Season stats: .248/.410/.380, four homers, five doubles, and 32 RBIs (129 at-bats, or 48 games between the FCL and Low-A)
The Marauders have won three games in a row over Jupiter as they shut the Hammerheads out 5-0 Friday night.
Dotel was wild, but he got outs when he needed to and held Jupiter to just three hits. In addition, Jupiter registered only four hits in the entire game.
Alfonso powered the Marauders through with two RBIs and was the only Bradenton player with more than one hit on the night.