The Pittsburgh Pirates (11-7) have taken the first two from the Colorado Rockies (5-13) and now aim for their second sweep of the season.
The Pirates got into an early deficit against the Rockies, but powered their way in the fourth inning, thanks to Jack Suwinski’s second homer of the night.
The Pirates beat the Rockies by a score of 5-3, and this team just keeps rolling.
First pitch at Coors Field is scheduled for 3:10 p.m. You can watch all of the action on AT&T Sportsnet, or listen to it on the Pirates radio network, 93.7 The Fan.
You can expect partly cloudy skies in Denver with a 20% chance of rain at first pitch. Temperatures will range from 53-59 degrees, with a high chance of rain around 4 p.m. in Denver. Winds will be around 11 mph and blow northwest.
The Pirates will send out RHP Johan Oviedo (1-1, 2.45 ERA)
Oveido delivered a gem on April 14 against the St. Louis Cardinals, but unfortunately got the loss despite giving up just one run on six hits in seven innings pitched.
Oviedo has stuck mainly with his slider this season and is getting a ton of results with it.
Coming into Wednesday, Oveido ranks tenth in all major league pitchers in SwStr%, and his slider is a big part of that, with a 35.6% whiff rate in 2023.
In his last start, Oveido used his slider 40% of the time and induced seven out of 13 whiffs with it.
Oviedo has faced the Rockies one time (one start) and gave up three earned runs in six full innings pitched in a no decision.
The Rockies will send out LHP Austin Gomber (0-3, 8.16 ERA).
Gomber has given up a total of ten earned runs in his last two starts (five each game), and has failed to make it out of the fifth inning in each.
In Gomber’s last start on April 14 against the Seattle Mariners, he went 3.2 innings, gave up six hits, five earned runs, four walks, and two strikeouts on 86 pitches (46 strikes).
Gomber has a four-pitch mix with a four-seam (41.7%), changeup (25.9%), slider (16.2%), and a curveball (14.6%).
Gomber’s four-seam has been giving him fits to start the year with an opposing batting average of .300 and just a 14.7% whiff rate on it.
In fact, Gomber has had issues early this season with the swing-and-miss stuff, ranking in the 22nd percentile in whiff%.
Gomber has faced the Pirates seven times (three starts) and holds an 0-2 record with an ERA of 5.06.
Interesting Batting Match Ups
- Elias Diaz is 2-3 with a double and a homer off of Oviedo
- Kris Bryant is 1-6 against Oviedo
- Ke’Bryan Hayes is 0-4 against Gomber
- With his double in the fifth inning on Tuesday, Bryan Reynolds recorded his 100th career double.
- Suwinski, prior to his walk in the fifth inning on Tuesday, had homered in three straight plate appearances, dating back to Monday night. Suwinski has now homered in three straight at-bats twice in his major league career.
- Vince Velasquez kept the streak going and now Pirates’ starters have gone at least six innings in eight-straight games dating back to April 11 when Mitch Keller went six full innings against the Houston Astros.
Around The Network
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: Sullivan Sternly Defends Penguins Power Play, Will Have Role in Transition
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Pitt Guard Dayshanette Harris Transfers to Clemson