Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Po-Yu Chen saw his 2023 season get off to a shaky start with High-A Greensboro.
After a rough outing on May 5, Chen’s ERA sat at 7.91. Since then, he has been much improved in a very hitter-friendly league.
His May ERA ended up at 3.55 in five starts on the month. After a sparkling outing on Wednesday night for Greensboro, Chen has an impressive 3.13 ERA through four starts in the month of June.
In addition to Chen, these fellow Pirates’ prospects were among the standouts.
LHP Cam Alldred
- Game stats: 6.0 innings, five hits, two runs, three walks, four strikeouts
- Season stats: 3-1, 3.40 ERA, 17er/45.0ip, 38 hits, 18 walks, 41 strikeouts, 16 appearances/seven starts
2B Nick Gonzales
- Game stats: 1 for 4, one triple, two runs, one walk
- Season stats: .257/.370/.450, 14 doubles, five triples, six home runs, 27 RBIs, one steal, 57 games
Gonzales helped in backing Alldred’s strong start as Indianapolis defeated the Columbus Clippers 6-2.
Pirates prospect Endy Rodriguez went 1 for 3 with a run scored and two walks.
LF Matt Fraizer
- Game stats: 2 for 5, one RBI, two runs, one steal
- Season stats: .238/.311/.364, 11 doubles, five home runs, 23 RBIs, seven steals, 58 games
SS Liover Peguero
- Game stats: 1 for 4, one double, two runs, one walk, two steals
- Season stats: .273/.339/.462, 19 doubles, one triple, nine home runs, 32 RBIs, 17 steals, 61 games
Despite the contributions from Fraizer and Peguero, the Curve fell 9-8 to the Bowie Baysox on Thursday.
Pirates prospect Jacob Gonzalez had two hits while Abrahan Gutierrez drove in a pair of runs.
RHP Po-Yu Chen
- Game stats: 7.0 innings, six hits, one run, two walks, three strikeouts
- Season stats: 3-4, 4.34 ERA, 31er/64.1ip, 64 hits, 21 walks, 62 strikeouts, 13 appearances/12 starts
1B Jase Bowen
- Game stats: 3 for 4, one home run, one double, one RBI, two runs
- Season stats: .255/.322/.491, eight doubles, one triple, 14 home runs, 53 RBIs, 10 steals, 55 games
Chen’s stellar outing and Bowen’s big night helped Greensboro cruise to an 8-1 win over the Winston-Salem Dash.
Mike Jarvis homered, drove in three and scored twice while Pirates prospect Ernny Ordonez also left the yard.
1B Nick Cimillo
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one double, one run
- Season stats: .256/.390/.535, seven doubles, one triple, five home runs, 14 RBIs, 29 games
SS Jesus Castillo
- Game stats: 1 for 1, one double, one RBI, one walk
- Season stats: .214/.389/.254, six doubles, one triple, 18 RBIs, 12 steals, 61 games
Bradenton got walloped 13-4 by the Lakeland Flying Tigers despite nice games at the plate from Cimillo and Castillo.
Pirates prospect Omar Alfonzo went 1 for 3 with an RBI and a walk in the loss.