Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Mitch Jebb became the first player from their 2023 draft class to start his professional career.
Jebb played shortstop and hit leadoff for the Bradenton Marauders, and the Pirates’ second-round pick used his legs to make an instant impact.
In his first pro at-bat, Jebb showed off his speed by turning a ground-single through the right side of the infield into a hustle double. He later scored from second base — on a wild pitch. Jebb finished the game 1 for 3.
In addition to Jebb, here are the Pirates’ prospects who stood out from a full afternoon slate of minor league baseball.
LF Canaan Smith-Njigba
- Game stats: 1 for 4, one home run, three RBIs
- Season stats: .255/.356/.486, 18 doubles, one triple, 10 home runs, 36 RBIs, nine steals, 59 games
SS Vinny Capra
- Game stats: 3 for 4, one double, one RBI
- Season stats: .358/.471/.505, eight doubles, two home runs, 24 RBIs, four steals, 32 games
Smith-Njigba and Capra helped a 6-5 come-from-behind, walk-off win for Indianapolis over the Louisville Bats.
Josh Palacios hit a game-ending home run. In his Triple-A debut, Pirates prospect Domingo Leyba went 2 for 5.
3B Mike Jarvis
- Game stats: 3 for 4, one run, one steal
- Season stats: .400/.438/.400, one RBI, three steals, four games
CF Chavez Young
- Game stats: 2 for 3, two doubles, one RBI, one walk, two steals
- Season stats: .221/.323/.279, two doubles, one home run, four RBIs, seven steals, 29 games
Jarvis and Young both had big games for Altoona, who defeated the Harrisburg Senators 3-1.
Pirates prospect Jacob Gonzalez went 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI and reliever Nick Dombkowski struck out four in 2.2 scoreless innings and got the win.
1B Jase Bowen
- Game stats: 4 for 5, one home run, one double, one RBI, two runs, one steal
- Season stats: .270/.352/.502, 10 doubles, four triples, 18 home runs, 70 RBIs, 15 steals, 79 games
C Eli Wilson
- Game stats: 1 for 3, one home run, two RBIs, one run, one walk
- Season stats: .230/.353/.416, seven doubles, one triple, four home runs, 20 RBIs, two runs, 37 games
Thanks to Bowen’s monster game and Wilson’s long ball, Greensboro squeaked out a 7-6 win over the Winston-Salem Dash.
Brendan Dixon tripled and drove in two runs while Pirates prospect Sammy Siani went 2 for 4 with an RBI and a walk.
1B Nick Cimillo
- Game stats: 2 for 3, two RBIs, two runs, two walks
- Season stats: .277/.393/.514, 15 doubles, one triple, six home runs, 24 RBIs, one steal, 47 games
CF Enmanuel Terrero
- Game stats: 1 for 2, two runs, three walks, two steals
- Season stats: .271/.378/.423, eight doubles, six triples, eight home runs, 34 RBIs, 20 steals, 76 games
Cimillo and Terrero were on-base machines for the Mrauders as Bradenton took down the St. Lucie Mets 9-7.
Pirates prospect Rodolfo Nolasco doubled and drove in a pair of runs in the win.