Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Bubba Chandler turned in his best performance of the year for High-A Greensboro as the Grasshoppers picked up their 12th win on the year.
Chandler was converted from a two-way player to a full-time pitcher this year and it certainly looked like the move paid off on Wednesday.
Another prospect who stood out was Liover Peguero, who was on base four times, stole a base and scored three runs.
In addition to Chandler and Peguero, here are the other Pirates’ prospects who stood out.
2B Brendan Dixon
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one home run, four RBIs, one run
- Season stats: .400/.400/1.000, one home run, four RBIs, two games
RHP J.C. Flowers
- Game stats: 3.1 innings, three hits, no runs, two walks, three strikeouts
- Season stats: 1-0, 3.38 ERA, 5er/13.1ip, 14 hits, seven walks, 14 strikeouts, six appearances
In only his second game in Triple-A, Dixon clubbed a grand slam for his first home run. The Indians, however, fell to the Columbus Clippers 10-7.
Flowers had a strong, lengthy stint out of the bullpen in the game while Pirates’ prospects Chavez Young and Josh Bissonette were both on base three times. Young also had his eighth steal of the season.
C Henry Davis
- Game stats: 1 for 4, one home run, two RBIs, one HBP
- Season stats: .265/.438/.633, one double, one triple, five home runs, 12 RBIs, 14 games
1B Mason Martin
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one double, two runs
- Season stats: .237/.431/.500, four doubles, two home runs, seven RBIs, three steals, 11 games
Davis’ home run helped to carry the Curve back to .500 with a 9-4 win over the Reading Fightin Phils.
In addition to Martin and Peguero, Pirates’ prospects’ Domingo Leyba, Jacob Gonzalez and Matt Fraizer all had two-hits in the game.
RHP Bubba Chandler
- Game stats: 5.0 innings, two hits, no runs, three walks, nine strikeouts
- Season stats: 2-0, 3.71 ERA, 7er/17ip, 15 hits, 12 walks, 21 strikeouts, four appearances/four starts
3B Jackson Glenn
- Game stats: 2 for 4, two doubles, one RBI, one run
- Season stats: .289/.347/.422, three doubles, one home run, nine RBIs, one steal, 12 games
Chandler was spectacular on the mound for Greensboro as he improved to 2-0 on the year in the Grasshoppers’ 4-1 win over the Rome Braves.
Glenn was one of a handful of Pirates’ prospects with nice games at the plate for Greensboro. Outfielder Jase Bowen was on base twice, drove in a run, scored once and stole a base. Designated hitter Will Matthessen tripled while Maikol Escotto went 1 for 2 with a walk and an RBI.
RF Rodolfo Nolasco
- Game stats: 2 for 4, two doubles, one run
- Season stats: .375/.375/.625, two doubles, two games
RHP Joshua Loeschorn
- Game stats: 3.0 innings, no hits, no runs, no walks, four strikeouts
- Season stats: 1-1, 5.40 ERA, 5er/8.1ip, six hits, one walk, 11 strikeouts, four appearances
Loeschorn’s three innings of perfect relief and Nolasco’s two doubles weren’t quite enough in Bradenton’s 2-1 loss to the Dunedin Blue Jays.
Pirates’ prospect Owen Kellington struck out seven in four innings in the start for the Marauders.