Some of the bigger-named Pirates’ prospects, including Nick Gonzales and Endy Rodriguez, had key roles in Triple-A Indianapolis’ win on Friday night.
Fresh off the injured list, Nick Gonzales had three hits while Rodriguez matched his teammate with three.
On the mound, Luis Ortiz started the game but only went three innings as speculation increases that he could get called up to the Pirates in place of the injured Vince Velasquez.
In other news, a red-hot Pirates’ prospect hit a grand slam for High-A Greensboro. That and more can be found below.
2B Nick Gonzales
- Game stats: 3 for 5, one run, one steal
- Season stats: .273/.356/.442, three doubles, two triples, two home runs, five RBIs, one steal, 21 games
C Endy Rodriguez
- Game stats: 3 for 4, two runs, one walk
- Season stats: .279/.363/.441, one triple, three home runs, 10 RBIs, two steals, 17 games
Gonzales and Rodriguez paved the way for Indianapolis in their 6-3 win over the Toledo Mudhens.
In addition to those two Pirates’ prospects, Ortiz set the tone early in his nearly perfect three innings in the start for the Indians. He allowed just one hit against the Mudhens.
RHP Cameron Junker
- Game stats: 2.1 innings, one hit, no runs, no walks, two strikeouts
- Season stats: 1-1, 3.24 ERA, 3er/8.1ip, six hits, three walks, eight strikeouts, eight appearances
DH Mason Martin
- Game stats: 1 for 4, one double
- Season stats: .220/.443/.500, five doubles, three home runs, eight RBIs, three steals, 16 games
Junker gave the Curve some quality innings out of the bullpen but Altoona was still defeated 3-1 by the Richmond Flying Squirrels. Martin’s double was the highlight on offense.
The only other Pirates’ prospects to collect hits in the game were Matt Gorski and Matt Fraizer.
3B Jackson Glenn
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one home run, four RBIs, one run, one walk
- Season stats: .348/.443/.636, four doubles, five home runs, 20 RBIs, one steal, 19 games
SS Tsung-Che Cheng
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one double, one run, one walk
- Season stats: .300/.398/.588, three doubles, four triples, four home runs, 11 RBIs, eight steals, 22 games
Glenn’s ninth-inning grand slam was nearly enough to push the Grasshoppers over the Winston-Salem Dash for a win but the Dash held on to win 8-7. Both Glenn and Cheng have been on fire for Greensboro.
Pirates prospect Tres Gonzalez was on base twice, scored a pair of runs and stole a base. He’s hitting .333 with a .968 OPS since getting promoted to High-A.
CF Shalin Polanco
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one home run, three RBIs, one run
- Season stats: .211/.375/.421, three doubles, three home runs, 10 RBIs, two steals, 16 games
1B Alexander Mojica
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one home run, one RBI, one run
- Season stats: .271/.427/.424, three doubles, two home runs, 10 RBIs, 18 games
Polanco is starting to find his power stroke and Mojica also went deep as Bradenton pulled out a 7-6 win over the Tampa Tarpons.
Pirates prospect Jared Triolo continued his rehab assignment and doubled as part of a two-hit night. He drove in a pair and scored twice. Enmanuel Terrero continued his excellent season by reaching base three times, including two more hits.