Now, the Pirates will play host to the Cubs (33-38) for a three-game series back at PNC Park, and there is a little extra buzz as the Bucs return home.
2021 first overall pick Henry Davis is being promoted prior to first pitch as he is set to make his major league debut. The 23-year-old has had a stellar season at the plate between Double-A and Triple-A this year, and will look to bring a jolt to Pittsburgh.
The first pitch at PNC Park is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. ET. Monday’s game will be aired on AT&T Sportsnet and will be aired on the Pirates radio network 93.7 The Fan.
For first pitch, it’s expected to be mostly cloudy skies with winds ESE at 5-10 mph with a temperature of 81 degrees.
The Pirates will send out RHP Osvaldo Bido (0-0, 2.25 ERA)
Bido made his major league debut against the Cubs on Wednesday and pitched well.
The right-hander held Chicago to one run across four innings pitched while striking out six batters. He surrendered four hits and walked three.
The 27-year-old Bido is being counted on to help fill out the Pirates’ rotation in wake of season-ending surgery to Vince Velasquez and Roansy Contreras’ struggles and move to the bullpen.
While this will be Bido’s second-career start, it will come against the only team he has ever faced at the big league level.
The Cubs will send out LHP Drew Smyly (6-4, 3.59 ERA)
While Smyly earned the win against the Pirates on Wednesday, the Pirates tagged the veteran left-hander for five earned runs across six innings at Wrigley Field.
In his second season with the Cubs, Smyly has been effective and has provided Chicago with steady production.
While his 3.59 ERA is healthy, the underlying numbers indicate he may be the beneficiary of some good luck, as evident by his 4.33 FIP.
Cubs Hitters vs. Bido
- Yan Gomes: 1 for 1, one walk
- Ian Happ: 0 for 2, two strikeouts
Pirates Hitters vs. Smyly
- Bryan Reynolds: 8 for 21, one double, two home runs, five strikeouts
- Andrew McCutchen: 5 for 18, three home runs
- Carlos Santana: 8 for 23, two doubles, two home runs, five walks, five strikeouts
- Connor Joe, 3 for 5, two doubles
- Henry Davis is expected to make his big league debut for the Pirates against the Cubs after .284 with a .974 OPS in the minor leagues this season.
- The Pirates have lost six straight games after a successful 6-3 home stand against the St. Louis Cardinals, Oakland A’s and New York Mets.
- Andrew McCutchen enters Monday’s action one double shy of 400 in his career and 300 with the Pirates.
Around The Network
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: Dubas in Spotlight, But Will Sullivan Make the Calls?
Steelers Now: Steelers Top Remaining Needs Before Training Camp
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Pitt Football Legend Aaron Donald Hosts Fourth Annual Free Youth Football Camp