Welcome to the PBN Around the Horn. Here you’ll find news and notes from across Major League Baseball, your Pittsburgh Pirates, and around the Sports Now network.
Since Monday, Aug 30th is a scheduled off day, it’s time to get a little creative, stand upon my soapbox, and tell you why the Pirates are headed in the right direction. Just like the last scheduled off-day Around the Horn, this list will give you five reasons.
- Bryan Reynolds: with a potential batting title or two in his future, one can say that he will lead the charge when the timing is right to contend.
- Future Starting Rotation: With Miguel Yajure, Roansy Contreras, and a few others on the cusp, the future rotation looks bright.
- The managing will get better: Much like this team, Derek Shelton is still learning. Sure he has made questionable decisions, but it’s better to make mistakes now than in years of playoff runs. Patience is the key.
- The Pirates will spend money: The Pirates will never spend Gerrit Cole money, but eventually, when the push comes, you can expect a move similar to A.J Burnett, Russel Martin, Fransisco Liriano, etc. This is how small markets win.
- The pipeline can be sustained at least until 2025: This one depends on contention years and how the Pirates shake out in draft scenarios or if they mortgage the future to make moves.
Pittsburgh Baseball Now Notes
John Dreker had the pleasure of watching some brilliant performances in Greensboro and Bradenton. The bats came to life, and one of them coming from Nick Gonzales. Find out about Gonzales’ performance and others in the prospect watch.
Around the Network
Steelers Now: Tre Norwood discusses his start at slot corner
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: How Carolina’s offer sheet could affect the trade market
Pittsburgh Sports Now: WPIAL top six performers of the week
WVU Sports Now: 2022 BB Center puts WVU in his top-three
Pittsburgh Soccer Now: WVU Women’s Soccer shuts out Duquense 3-0