Pirates Prospect Watch: Gonzales, Triolo Lead Indianapolis to 15 Runs
Thanks in part to Pirates prospects Jared Triolo and Nick Gonzales, Triple-A Indianapolis coasted to a big win as the offense put up 15 runs on Sunday afternoon.
Triolo had three hits and drove in four while Gonzales had two hits, doubled once and scored three runs for the Indians.
Both prospects figure to play into the Pirates’ plans for the 2023 season and beyond, and each showed why on Mother’s Day.
In addition to Triolo and Gonzales, here are the Pirates’ prospects who had big games from Sunday’s action.
3B Jared Triolo
- Game stats: 3 for 5, two doubles, four RBIs, two runs
- Season stats: .294/.333/.412, two doubles, four RBIs, four games
CF Chavez Young
- Game stats: 2 for 5, one home run, three RBIs, two runs, one steal
- Season stats: .200/.309/.389, five doubles, two triples, three home runs, 16 RBIs, 10 steals, 31 games
In addition to Triolo and Gonzales, Young aided the big night on offense for the Indians in their 15-3 win over the St. Paul Saints.
Pirates prospect Malcom Nuñez also had two hits and was on base three times while Endy Rodriguez drew three walks and scored twice.
1B Mason Martin
- Game stats: 1 for 2, one home run, one RBIs, two runs, two walks
- Season stats: .191/.396/.485, five doubles, five home runs, 10 RBIs, four steals, 21 games
SS Liover Peguero
- Game stats: 1 for 4, one double
- Season stats: .230/.315/.345, seven doubles, three home runs, 11 RBIs, nine steals, 28 games
Martin showed off his power and his ability to get on base while Peguero stroked a double, but Altoona was defeated 4-2 by the Akron RubberDucks.
Pirates prospect Dylan Shockley drew two walks and had an RBI in the loss.
LF Tres Gonzalez
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one double, one run, one steal
- Season stats: .342/.381/.447, one double, one home run, eight RBIs, six steals, 10 games
RHP Dante Mendoza
- Game stats: 2.o innings, no hits, no runs, one walk, three strikeouts
- Season stats: 2-0, 4.86 ERA, 9er/16.2ip, 16 hits, 12 walks, 25 strikeouts, 10 appearances
Gonzalez was the bright spot on offense for Greensboro but they fell 6-1 to the Jersey Shore BlueClaws. Mendoza provided two innings of hitless and scoreless relief.
Pirates prospect Will Matthiessen went 1 for 4 and drove in the lone run for the Grasshoppers.
RF Rodolfo Nolasco
- Game stats: 2 for 3, one double, one RBI, one walk
- Season stats: .310/.429/.569, nine doubles, two home runs, 12 RBIs, one steal, 16 games
DH Javier Rivas
- Game stats: 2 for 3, one double, one run, one HBP
- Season stats: .232/.277/.304, two doubles, two home runs, 19 RBIs, 29 games
Nolasco and Rivas helped to carry a balanced offensive approach in Bradenton’s 8-3 win over the Lakeland Flying Tigers.
Termarr Johnson, arguably the top Pirates’ prospects, had two hits, an RBI and a run scored. Enamnuel Terrero was 1 for 3 with an RBI, a run scored and a walk.