PITTSBURGH — Pirates director of sports medicine Todd Tomczyk broke down the team’s injured players during a session with local media on Wednesday, including a major update on the health of top pitching prospect Quinn Priester and also news about outfielder Greg Allen.
• OF Greg Allen (left hamstring, on 60-day IL until June 6) — Allen had a platelet-rich plasma injection two weeks ago. He remains in Florida and is performing only rehab activities at this point.
• OF Anthony Alford (right wrist sprain, on 15-day IL until April 14) — Is expected to get into game activity in the coming days.
• LHP Sam Howard (mid-back muscle strain, on 15-day IL until April 14) — Threw live batting practice on Tuesday and will be scheduled to take part in game activity next.
• RHP Luis Oviedo (right ankle sprain, on 15-day IL until April 15) — Will throw second rehab stint with Bradenton Marauders on Thursday, continuing his preseason buildup.
• RHP Duane Underwood Jr. (right hamstring strain, on 15-day IL until April 18) — Will throw from a slope later this week.
• RHP Blake Cederlind (UCL surgery, on 60-day IL until May 14) — Will begin throwing live batting practice this week.
• RHP Quinn Priester (oblique strain, minor-league 7-day IL until April 15) — Is expected to be out for another two weeks from an injury he sustained in early April.
• RHP Aaron Shortridge (UCL surgery) — Is throwing live batting batting practice and will be assigned to a minor-league affiliate “sooner rather than later.”
• RHP Braxton Ashcraft (UCL surgery) — Throwing side sessions, but is behind Cederling and Shortridge in his return from injury.