The road back to the majors can be a tough and bumpy road, and Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher, Roansy Contreras is about to face said road.
Contreras as we all know was sent down to Bradenton to work on some things in a controlled environment. Pirates general manager Ben Cherington referenced last Sunday that Contreras was close to competition, and it seems like Friday was the day.
Contreras did what he was supposed to do in Bradenton, but there were so many more performances worth noting as well.
RHP Jared Jones
- Game stats: 5.2 innings pitched, five hits, two earned runs, five walks, and seven strikeouts
- Season stats: 3-5, 3.31 ERA, 31 walks, and 95 strikeouts in 84.1 innings pitched
2B Nick Gonzales
- Game stats: 2-3 with a double and two walks
- Season stats: .262/.378/.457 with an OPS of 835 in 221 at-bats
The Indians trotted out Jones and there were times Jones struggled mightily (three walks), but he limited damage, and took another step in the right direction.
Unfortunately for the Indians, they dropped Saturday night’s game to Gwinnett 5-3. In addition, Nick Gonzales was the only Indian with a multi-hit game.
RHP Braxton Ashcraft
- Game stats: three innings pitched, two hits, no runs, two walks, and three strikeouts
- Season stats: 0-3, 2.54 ERA, 11 walks, and 60 strikeouts in 49.2 innings pitched
SS Tsung-Che Cheng
- Game stats: 2-4 with a double, RBI and strikeout
- Season stats: .295/.369/.491 with an OPS of 860 in 336 at-bats
The Curve have done it again and shutout their opponent for the second-straight night (third game this series). Thanks to the combined efforts of Braxton Ashcraft, Nick Dombkowski, Grant Ford, and Oliver Garcia, the Curve held the Flying Squirrels to just five hits.
Tsung-Che Cheng went 2-4 with a double and an RBI and now owns a 12-game hitting streak. The Curve won 4-0
RHP Bubba Chandler
- Game stats: seven innings pitched (season high), four hits, no earned runs, no walks, and six strikeouts
- Season stats: 7-3, 5-08 ERA, 42 walks, and 101 strikeouts in 85 innings pitched
Unfair to name anyone else after Chandler’s performance
Bubba Chandler was outstanding Friday night. The youngster hurled a career-high seven innings and only gave up four hits and no runs.
Chandler allowing no walks was a huge part in his success and may indicate growth in his development. The Grasshoppers won 7-0.
RHP Roansy Contreras
- Game stats: Two innings pitched, no hits, no runs, no walks, and two strikeouts
- Season stats: N/A
C Geovanny Planchart
- Game stats: 2-3 with four RBIs and two doubles
- Season stats: .240/.340/.343 with an OPS of .683 in 204 at-bats
Contreras started for the first time since the demotion and didn’t hold back. Contreras was perfect in his two innings of work (literally).
Planchart came up in the clutch and delivered two-run doubles on two occasions, and helped the Marauders to a 6-3 win.