The Pittsburgh Pirates (26-26) suffered a gut-wrenching defeat in extra-innings on Sunday against Seattle, but they must turn quickly to face the San Francisco Giants (27-26).
The Pirates had multiple chances to score more than three runs, including in the top of the tenth inning when they loaded the bases with no outs.
Three straight Pirates struck out, and then Robert Stephenson allowed a three-run homer in the bottom of the inning, and the Pirates lost 6-3.
First pitch at Oracle Park is scheduled for 5:05 p.m. You can watch all of the action on AT&T Sportsnet, or listen to the game on the Pirates radio station, 93.7 The Fan.
You can expect mostly sunny skies at first pitch with a temperature of 62 degrees. There should be a hard wind of 14 mph but should get as high as 16 mph, blowing southwest.
The Pirates will send out LHP Rich Hill (4-4, 4.27 ERA)
Hill took the loss in his last start on May 23 against the Texas Rangers. In 5.1 innings pitched, Hill gave up seven hits, five earned runs, two walks, and a season-high nine strikeouts.
Over his last two starts (11.1 IP), Hill has struck out 16 batters, mainly with his four-seam/curveball combination.
With the Pirates sinking to .500 for the first time in quite some time, they need a veteran like Hill to take the mound and put the team on his back.
Hill has faced 18 times (18 starts) and holds an 8-2 record with an ERA of 3.15 in 96.1 innings pitched.
The Giants will send out Anthony DeSclafani (3-4, 3.43 ERA)
DeSclafani’s last outing on May 24 against the Minnesota Twins was a rough one for him as he took the loss. In five innings pitched, he gave up six hits, four earned runs, two walks, and struck out six.
So far in his 60.1 innings pitched this season, DeSclafani has given up 46.8% hard hit percentage which ranks in the 12th percentile and on top of that there is an expected batting average of .279 which is also near the bottom of the rankings.
The righty has a five-pitch mix, but mostly sticks with his slider (43.1%) and sinker (30.7%) combo. In addition, he throws a four-seam (11.5%), changeup (9.7%), and a curveabll (5%).
DeSclafani has faced the Pirates 17 times (17 starts) and holds a 3-7 record with an ERA of 5.13 in 86 innings pitched.
- Brandon Crawford: 8-20 with five walks and four strikeouts against Hill
- Wilmer Flores: 5-14 with two doubles, one homer, and five strikeouts agaisnt Hill
- Bryan Reynolds: 3-10 with a double and five walks agaisnt DeSclafani
- Carlos Santana was removed from Sunday’s contest after suffering lumbar spine muscular tightness. and is being evaluated and treated.
- The Pirates will be facing their former prospect Blake Sabol who was originally taken in the rule-five draft by the Cincinnati Reds and later traded to San Francisco.
- The Pirates are now a 1.5 games back of the Milwaukee Brewers after the Brewers beat the Giants on Sunday by a score of 7-5.
Around The Network
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: Molinari: Outsider’s View of GM Candidates; Easy Jarry Solution (+)
Steelers Now: Calvin Austin III Looking to Make Waves as a Returner
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Die-Hards: 2024 3-Star TE, Pac-12 Commit, Taking Visit to Pitt