The Pittsburgh Pirates Low-A affiliate, the Bradenton Marauders, swept their doubleheader on Sunday after a pinch-hit walk-off single from Geovanny Planchart.
In addition, Antwone Kelly made his Low-A debut and was quite literally perfect. In two innings pitched, Kelly struck out three while allowing no runs, hits, or walks.
Buffalo swept Indianapolis in six games, and a solid pitcher in August got beat up for Altoona. Let’s check out the Pirates’ entire farm system and see how they faired.
DH Domingo Leyba
- Game stats: 3-4 with three singles
- Season stats: .313/.388/.492, eight homers, one triple, nine doubles, and 32 RBIs (195 at-bats, or 57 games between Double-A and Triple-A)
CF Chris Owings
- Game stats: 1-4, one homer, one run scored, and one RBI
- Season stats: .234/.342/.423, 11 homers, two triples, 13 doubles, and 31 RBIs (265 at-bats, or 73 games)
Indianapolis failed to win one game against Buffalo and suffered a six-game sweep after their 8-3 loss to the Bisons. The Pittsburgh Pirates newly promoted prospect, Nick Dombkowski got blown up in his first Triple-A appearance.
In 3.0 innings pitched, Dombkowski allowed ten hits, six runs, and struck out three. In addition, Nick Gonzales blasted his ninth home run of the Triple-A season.
2B Tsung-Che Cheng
- Game stats: 2-3, two homers, two walks, and four RBIs
- Season stats: .290/.367/.480, 13 homers, ten triples, 21 doubles, and 54 RBIs (421 at-bats, or 113 games between High-A and Double-A)
C Eli Wilson
- Game stats: 2-4, a homer, one run scored, and one RBI
- Season stats: .231/.330/.406, six homers, one triple, eight doubles, and 23 RBIs (160 at-bats, or 51 games between High-A, and Double-A)
Aaron Shortridge had an awful outing for the Curve. In 2.2 innings pitched, Shortridge allowed 12 hits, 13 runs (12 earned), two walks, and struck out four.
Cheng blasted two homers for the Curve, but Altoona dropped the series finale against Erie 13-5. In addition, Eli Wilson hit the only other homer for Altoona.
3B Brenden Dixon
- Game stats: 2-3 with one walk
- Season stats: .230/.348/.469, 12 homers, two triples, ten doubles, and 36 RBIs (209 at-bats, or 65 games between Low-A and High-A)
2B Termarr Johnson
- Game stats: 1-4
- Season stats: .236/.415/.429, 17 homers, one triple, 11 doubles, ten stolen bases, and 56 RBIs (331 at-bats, or 100 games between Low-A and High-A)
The Grasshoppers had an abysmal game against Hickory as they lost 9-0 during the series finale. Starting pitcher Derek Diamond managed just 4.0 innings before giving up five earned runs on five hits and two walks.
In addition, Dixon was the only Greensboro player to register more than one hit. Greensboro managed just four hits, Dixon registered half of them.
C Geovanny Planchart
- Game stats: 1-1 with an RBI
- Season stats: .228/.342/.331, three homers, one triple, 15 doubles, and 42 RBIs (254 at-bats, or 83 games)
RHP Antwone Kelly
- Game stats: 2.0 IP, no hits, no runs, no walks, and three strikeouts
- Season stats: 5-1, 2.81 ERA, 41.2 IP, 18 walks, and 50 strikeouts in 13 games (four starts)
2B/SS Mitch Jebb
Game stats: 2-3, two doubles, two runs scored, and two RBIs
Season stats: .306/.378/.396, two triples, six doubles, and nine RBIs (111 at-bats, or 28 games)
Bradenton played Palm Beach in yet another doubleheader and took both games. In game one, Bradenton won 3-1 after Antwone Kelly made his Low-A debut and pitched two perfect innings while striking out three.
In game two, Bradenton was aided by Pittsburgh Pirates 2023 second-round pick Mitch Jebb’s two doubles and RBIs, but no RBI was bigger than Geovanny Planchart’s pinch-hit RBI walk-off.
Bradenton won game two 5-4.