The most newsworthy story in the Pittsburgh Pirates’ minor league ranks Tuesday is that 2021 first-overall pick Henry Davis began a rehab assignment with the Low-A Bradenton Marauders.
Davis, who served as the team’s designated hitter, singled in his first at-bat and was hit by a pitch for the 18th time this season.
Other than that, three of the Pirates’ top pitching prospects were on the mound, and Bubba Chandler delivered a gem. Here are some noteworthy performances from Tuesday night.
Indianapolis Indians (59-57)
RHP Osvaldo Bido
- Game: 6.0 innings, four hits, one run, three walks, seven strikeouts
- Season: 2-7, 5.02 ERA, 84.1 innings, 83 hits, 52 walks 88 strikeouts, 26 games/20 starts
OF Cal Mitchell
- Game: 2 for 4 with a home run, two RBIs and a run
- Season: .327/.382/.526, 16 doubles, one triple, eight home runs, 44 RBIs, seven steals, 57 games
Backed by a strong start from Bido, Indianapolis took down the Rochester Red Wings 3-2. Bido’s six innings set a season-high, and his seven strikeouts were the second-most he’s had in a game this season.
Mitchell’s solo home run and two RBIs enabled the Indians’ offense to do just enough to squeak out a win.
Altoona Curve (58-56)
C/OF Blake Sabol
- Game: 3 for 4 with two doubles, an RBI and a run
- Season: .283/.349/.489, 23 doubles, five triples, 13 home runs, 58 RBIs, nine steals, 94 games
RHP Quinn Priester
- Game: 5.1 innings, 7 hits, five runs (one earned), one walk, three strikeouts
- Season: 2-3, 2.43 ERA, 55.2 innings, 50 hits, 16 walks, 55 strikeouts, 11 games/11 starts
Sabol sparked a big night for the offense for the Curve in their 7-5 win over the Bowie BaySox. Endy Rodriguez and Malcom Nunez each went deep in the win. For Rodriguez, that gives him hits in his first 10 games with the Curve since being promoted from High-A Bradenton.
Jared Triolo picked up two more hits, and Nick Gonzales drew three walks. On the mound, it was an interesting start for Priester with only one of five runs being earned as he lowered his ERA to 2.43.
Greensboro Grasshoppers (48-63)
INF Yoyner Fajardo
- Game: 4 for 4
- Season: .272/.351/.377, four doubles, three triples, six home runs, 27 RBIs, 16 steals, 72 games
RHP Jared Jones
- Game: 4.0 innings, four hits, no runs, three walks, two strikeouts
- Season: 5-6, 4.83 ERA, 110 innings, 104 hits, 46 walks, 127 strikeouts, 23 games/23 starts
Fajardo’s four-hit night wasn’t enough for Greensboro as the Grasshoppers fell 3-2 to the Greenville Drive. Jones held the Drive scoreless over four innings, but the bullpen couldn’t hold on.
Bradenton Marauders (59-54)
RHP/INF Bubba Chandler
- Game: 5.0 innings, no hits, no runs, two walks, five strikeouts
- Season: 0-1, 3.32 ERA, 21.2 innings, 14 hits, 14 walks, 27 strikeouts, six games/four starts
OF Sergio Campana
- Game: 2 for 3 with a home run, an RBI, a run and a steal
- Season: .205/.327/.301, 11 doubles, one triple, five home runs, 23 RBIs, 28 steals
Bradenton’s game against the Dunedin Blue Jays was suspended in the seventh inning, but not before Chandler tossed five no-hit outings in the start for the Marauders. Chandler is in line for the first victory of his career.
The two-way player showed off his athleticism with a terrific diving play from the mound.
BUBBA CHANDLER ARE YOU KIDDING ME pic.twitter.com/TNgZUX1h9r
— Young Bucs (@YoungBucsPIT) August 24, 2022
Campana led the charge for Bradenton’s offense with a pair of hits, including a home run. The two teams will wrap things up on Wednesday.