All four of the Pittsburgh Pirates minor league affiliates were in action Sunday, with the High-A Greensboro Grasshoppers and Low-A Bradenton Marauders picking up victories.
In Bradenton’s win, Henry Davis, continued his rehab assignment and connected on a home run to help lead the Marauders.
A number of Pirates’ pitching prospects dazzled. Here are some of the highlights from Sunday’s action.
Indianapolis Indians (62-59)
RHP Mike Burrows
- Game: 2.0 innings, no hits, no runs, one walk, two strikeouts
- Season: 1-3, 4.10 ERA, 41.2 innings, 40 hits, 11 walks, 42 strikeouts, 11 games/nine starts
RHP Osvaldo Bido
- Game: 4.0 innings, one hit, no runs, two walks, two strikeouts
- Season: 2-7, 4.79 ERA, 88.1 innings. 84 hits, 54 walks, 90 strikeouts, 27 games/20 starts
The Indians fell to the Rochester Red Wings 5-2, but Burrows and Bido combined for six shutout innings. Ji-hwan Bae recorded a pair of hits and an RBI, and Diego Castillo doubled and drove in a run in the loss.
Altoona Curve (59-60)
C Endy Rodriguez
- Game: 3 for 4 with a double, three RBIs and a run
- Season: .373/.448/.746, seven doubles, five home runs, 17 RBIs, 15 games
RHP Quinn Priester
- Game: 3.0 innings, five hits two runs (one earned), one walk, six strikeouts
- Season: 2-3, 2.45 ERA, 58.2 innings. 55 hits, 17 walks, 61 strikeouts
Rodriguez continued his red-hot start with Double-A Altoona in the Curve’s 5-4 loss to the Bowie Baysox. Priester really had his strikeout stuff working with six punchouts across three frames.
Matt Fraizer recorded a pair of hits, and Jared Triolo doubled, walked and scored twice for Altoona.
Greensboro Grasshoppers (53-64)
RHP Jared Jones
- Game: 4.2 innings, three hits, one run (unearned), two walks, five strikeouts
- Season: 5-6, 4.63 ERA, 114.2 innings, 107 hits, 48 walks, 132 strikeouts, 24 games/24 starts
OF Ernny Ordonez
- Game: 2 for 4, two home runs, two RBIs, two runs
- Season: .213/249/.434, 11 doubles, one triple, 14 home runs, 47 RBIs, three steals, 73 games
Jones has had a string of strong starts lately for Greensboro, and that continued in the Grasshoppers’ 5-3 win over the Greenville Drive.
Ordonez paced the offense with a pair of longballs, and Mike Jarvis drove in a pair and scored twice.
Bradenton Marauders (61-58)
RHP Po-Yu Chen
- Game: 5.0 innings, two hits, no runs, two walks, four strikeouts
- Season: 4-7, 4.44 ERA, 95.1 innings, 81 hits, 36 walks, 99 strikeouts, 21 games/21 starts
INF/RHP Bubba Chandler
- Game: 1 for 2 with a home run, an RBI, a run, a walk and a steal
- Season: .184/.284/.289, three doubles, one triple, one home run, eight RBIs, three steals, 30 games
Chen led the way in Bradenton’s 4-0 shutout win over the Dunedin Blue Jays with five strong innings in his start.
Chandler hit his first home run of the year with Bradenton, and Jack Brannigan also went deep in the win.