A day after scoring 13 runs, several Pittsburgh Pirates prospects again had big games as Double-A Altoona scored 16 runs on Thursday.
Andres Alvarez belted a pair of home runs while a handful of others had major contributions as Altoona again was on fire at the plate in their convincing win.
While Altoona may garner the most attention, Pirates’ prospects at all four levels deserved recognition. Here are the notables.
1B Aaron Shackelford
- Game stats: 2 for 2, one home run, three RBIs, two runs, one walk
- Season stats: .268/.407/.509, seven doubles, one triple, six home runs 15 RBIs, four steals, 36 games
SS Jared Triolo
- Game stats: 1 for 3, one run, one walk
- Season stats: .238/.385/.310, three doubles, six RBIs, 12 games
Shackelford was by far the Pirates’ prospect who performed best, but his contributions weren’t enough as Indianapolis fell 5-4 to the Columbus Clippers. Triolo continues to work his way back from a hamate injury.
SS Andres Alvarez
- Game stats: 2 for 5, two home runs, six RBIs, two runs
- Season stats: .197/.268/.331, five doubles, four home runs, 17 RBIs, 36 games
RHP Kyle Nicolas
- Game stats: 5.0 innings, three hits, no runs, two walks, six strikeouts
- Season stats: 3-5, 4.65 ERA, 21er/40.2ip, 47 hits, 19 walks, 48 strikeouts, nine appearances/nine starts
While Alvarez led the big night on offense, Nicolas’ outing can’t be ignored in Altoona’s 16-0 thrashing over the Hartford Yard Goats.
Pirates prospects Mason Martin and Claudio Finol each homered as part of two-hit games. Henry Davis and Matt Gorski each also had a pair of hits.
2B Tsung-Che Cheng
- Game stats: 2 for 4, one triple, two RBIs
- Season stats: .294/.400/.566, seven doubles, six triples, six home runs, 21 RBIs, 12 steals, 37 games
RHP Bubba Chandler
- Game stats: 4.2 innings, eight hits, two runs (one earned), one walk, seven strikeouts
- 2-2, 6.62 ERA, 25er/34.0ip, 39 hits, 27 walks, 39 strikeouts, nine appearances/nine starts
Chandler turned in one of his better starts of the year and Cheng continued to hit but Greensboro was defeated 5-2 by the Bowling Green Hot Rods.
Pirates prospects Brendan Dixon and Wyatt Hendrie were both on base twice.
RHP Thomas Harrington
- Game stats: 6.0 innings, two hits, no runs, one walk, three strikeouts
- Season stats: 4-1, 2.77 ERA, 12er/39.0ip, 31 hits, 12 walks, 40 strikeouts, eight appearances/eight starts
RF Travis Swaggerty
- Game stats: 1 for 1, two walks
- Season stats: .500/.800/.500, two games
Harrington was nearly untouchable on the mound while Swaggerty’s rehab assignment continued as the Marauders were 1-0 walk-off winners over the Jupiter Hammerheads.
Pirates prospect Shalin Polanco was responsible for the game-winning hit. Bradenton was supposed to play a doubleheader, but the second game was postponed due to rain.