Welcome to the PBN Around the Horn. Here you’ll find news and notes from across Major League Baseball, your Pittsburgh Pirates, and around the Sports Now network.
UPDATE (3:08 p.m.) The Pirates’ High-A affiliate the Greensboro Grasshoppers have new ownership. The groups name is Temerity Baseball headed by CEO Andy Sandler. Temerity also owns the White Sox High-A affiliate the Kannapolis Cannon Ballers.
— Greensboro Grasshoppers (@GSOHoppers) January 4, 2022
SOOO we had the five Pirates’ prospects who have speed for days, and then we had five who can smash the ball into orbit, so what’s up next? Yes, you guessed it, five prospects who have the potential for both speed and power! (how did you get so smart?!)
- Matt Fraizer- (His 2021 season was a marvel! His baserunning is exceptional and has pop potential)
- Nick Gonzales- (2022 will show if the pop is for real)
- Oneil Cruz- (Those long legs?! sheesh)
- Endy Rodriguez- (One of the most athletic prospects I’ve seen in some time)
- Jared Triolo- (This one is a little more of a hope, he’s not the fanciest, but his base running savvy and 15-20 home run potential give me some hope.)
Pittsburgh Baseball Now Notes
Pirates Prospects Notes
Never thought I’d say this, but the latest prospect news is brought to you by John Dreker and Cody Potanko (aka me). First, John leads off with winter league updates. Finally, I give you an update on Braylon Bishop and what he’s working on for 2022.
Around the Network
Steelers Now: Steelers Clinch 18th Consecutive Non-Losing Season
Pittsburgh Hockey Now: Kingerski: Anyone Else Wondering How Good The Penguins Can Be?
Pittsburgh Sports Now: Pitt’s Linebacking Depth Taking A Major Hit
WVU Sports Now: Bock: The Texas Loss Could Be The Best Thing To Happen To WVU
Nittany Sports Now: Penn State OT Rasheed Walked Declares For 2022 NFL Draft